National cycle Flyscreen

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, everyone...

Just wanted to say that I purchased and installed (yesterday) a National Cycle Flyscreen for my '73. I'll get some pictures as soon as I can.

In the interim, I just wanted to comment on the high quality of the item itself, in terms of fit and finish (mine is the headlight mount/light tint version), as well as the e-mail assistance I received when I was considering this purchase.

I am aware of the windscreen-related discussions here, and there are certainly lots of preferences from rider to rider, which is to be expected. What I was after, though, was something small that would basically just "split" the airstream a bit, and contribute to the cafe-roadster appearance that I'm trying to achieve with my bike. I'll have to road test, but the quality and aesthetic parts are covered.

So, shout out for National Cycle!

More as I get time...

TC

I have installed several from them and on various makes and models when I worked @ dealerships (never on a 650 yamaha) and I do agree they make a great product! And I'm pretty sure its made in the USA! Please correct me if I'm wrong

I have installed several from them and on various makes and models when I worked @ dealerships (never on a 650 yamaha) and I do agree they make a great product! And I'm pretty sure its made in the USA! Please correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, if I recall correctly, NC is an American concern that has been around since the '30s or so. I believe that everything originates from their facility in Illinois (I think). And my e-mail questions were replied to within, literally, minutes.

TC

Sweet, can't wait to see it. I have been seriously considering making a flyscreen/bikini fairing for my bike, but been putting it off.

Guys, I am not, by the way, affiliated with this company in any way, but it's good to see interest in a well-made domestic product.

As promised, here are some pics. I apologize for seemingly always photographing the bike in this same setting... I do need to get some shots of her in another, perhaps more artsy, milieu. :)

TC

Attachments

• 100_1207.jpg
    100_1207.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_1214.jpg
    100_1214.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 340
  • 100_1212.jpg
    100_1212.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 100_1211.jpg
    100_1211.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 100_1208.jpg
    100_1208.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_1209.jpg
    100_1209.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_1216.jpg
    100_1216.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 301
TeeCat;

If you are after the "look", its a winner :thumbsup:. It doesn't appear that it has much function though.

I chose a much larger model, because I wanted the pressure of the wind taken off my body.

Heres a tip... You can paint it and have looking beautifully glossy. Paint the backside! If you have ever painted a lexan RC car body, thats how its done. Tape and protect the front though. RC car paint, is extremely flexible btw.

Thank you, guys. :) Regardless of which of NC's models one selects, it seems one's fairly certain of getting a great product from what I can tell, and from various other reports.

joe, thanks for that tip! I don't know if I'll ever be inclined to paint it, but painting the back sounds like the best way to go.

RG, I hear ya. Honestly, at speeds up to about 65 mph, I have really not been too aware of excessive wind pressure on this bike. I'm 5'8", about 155, and short-wasted, so I suspect that this might have a mild wind-calming effect. Also, I should add that the clubman bars put me in a moderate forward lean, even with center controls... also perhaps explaining the lack of wind pressure on my chest.

John... road report coming up as soon as weather and time permit! :)

TC

Good news! Flyscreen didn't fall off today! :p I consider this to be a personal triumph. Ugh... Yamaha. Well.. .you get me. :p It doesn't vibrate at all (my bike actually doesn't seem to vibrate all that much, really), and it actually seems to split the wind a bit, and deflect it away from my chest, as I'm short-waisted/5'8".

I'll update my "Good Day" thread in a little bit.

TC

Looking good TeeCat, I just put a flyscreen on mine a couple of weeks ago. Here's a couple of shots.

Attachments

• IMG_1005 (1024x707).jpg
    IMG_1005 (1024x707).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1006 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_1006 (1024x768).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1009 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_1009 (1024x768).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 258
T Cat Glad to hear the flyscreen is working good. It sure looks good and will keep the bugs off the gauges.It should help with the rain with the air pocket it creates. I'am going to get one. Nice job on the new fuel line set up it looks good too. The black bike looks great with the dark screen.:thumbsup:

left3.jpg

This flyscreen was on one of my Sportsters... I sold the Sportster, but kept the screen, it fits perfectly on my XS.

Left700a.jpg

No, it doesn't completely block the wind, but it makes a huge difference.

TeeCat and/or DogBunny

I know this is an old thread, but would either of you be willing to post the part number for the flyscreen you used?

thanks

If you Google it you'll get many hits. As far as I know there are only two variations, clear and tinted other than that it's universal one model fits all.

Actually, they have 5 PN's to choose from for the clear, a couple that aren't listed on their site, so I called national cycle themselves and they weren't sure which item would work the best. they gave me a PN that would most likely work, it's all in the bracket..so I tossed the question out to see what PN you and TeeCat used. Thanks for getting back though. I'll just try the one I think may work and see what happens.

Mine is off the bike now, I looked at the brackets, no identification of any kind. All I can say is that it came with different thickness rubber sleeve inserts to fit different fork tube diameters. I really think there was only one clear when I bought mine. Later, I bought one off of Craigslist, it was exactly the same.

Back