Need a little help with top end noise.

bowietwin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1975 xs650 that is bone stock. When I saw it on Craigslist, I just had to have it. That was the first bike I purchased new. There have been quite a few since, but that one has a special place in my heart. Now I have a bike to go with all the pictures from so many years ago. Now to my question. I have a rather loud ticking coming from the top end. I have adjusted the cam chain, checked the valves and timing. Changed the oil and plugs, just in case, but nothing changed the noise. It is a steady ticking, kind of loud and it does not seem fast enough to be anything in the valves and it is not a knock. I am thinking the front cam chain guide might be broken, but before I go to the trouble of pulling the engine, I thougt I would ask the panel's opinion. The odometer shows 4200 miles but we all know that may or may not be correct. The gasket between the jugs and case looks like the original. I say that only because it is gray, about the same color as the case. Other than the noise, the bike runs fine. The plugs indicate it is running rich, but not passing oil. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Howdy, Tex. Your cousin Tex here. Make sure you're using 20w-50 in this heat. Screw out the valve adjusters and look for pits. If they'e bad enough it makes them impossible to adjust right. But you say it's slower than the valves, but that's my best guesses at the moment. If you take a valve cover off you should see a jet of oil, I think, but I'm not sure about that. Also, dampen things on the bike with your hand and see if you can get it to stop. It could be from vibration. Other than that, try to figure out what it IS the speed of and start tracing it that way. And lastly...I think I've read a leaky exhaust flange can cause a tick sound.

Nice to hear from a fellow Texan. I am running Rotella 15w40. That seemed to be pretty popular on here. I get the impression that the master link on the cam chain is a little larger physically than the other links. I think I read that some place. So, if it is, I thought if the front guide is broken, it may be hitting the guide when it comes around. I guess I should pull the sump off and check the filter there for pieces of plastic. I did not find anythng in the side filter when I changed the oil. That filter was perfectly clean. The oil in the engine was clean also, but when I pulled off the cam chain adjustment cover, the oil in it was black. So, I am thinking the PO must have changed the oil before he sold it to me but not so regular while he was riding it. Are you anywhere near the Dallas/Ft Worth area?

Had the same issue. Pulled the cam chain adjuster rod out & the PO left the small rubber/brass washer off between the spring & stop. I ordered from Mike's a "Dampener" washer. Took the "Ticking" noise away.

When you pull the sump filter, there is a ledge up inside and around the hole in the bottom of the engine. Reach up in with your finger and pull out any "stuff". That's where the big pieces of front guide rubber lurk.

Yes, you may be missing the damper washer on the tensioner assembly. It pads the head of the plunger when it hits the bottom of the adjuster screw .....

CamChainTensioner.jpg

Hey, I am Carbon, that is the sound alright. I will pull the sump and take a look at things in there and also check for the washer missing on the adjuster. Thanks to all for the input.

I have a post here "What level of mechanical know how and tools do I need to replace my cam chain guide" that will show you whats involved to do the job, Ed

Hey, I am Carbon, that is the sound alright. I will pull the sump and take a look at things in there and also check for the washer missing on the adjuster. Thanks to all for the input.

But a real loose adjuster will make a similar sound, so make sure it won't adjust out first. The Rotella will give more top end noise in hot weather. I don't use it above about 70F. But when it's in the 40s and below it makes it a lot easier to start in the morning.

Nope not too near Dallas, I'm in Austin at the moment. I want to come up and see the book depository museum sometime though.

Funny. I drove down to Austin to pick up this bike. I guess I will be switching to a different oil when I check the sump. Thanks for the advice. I have an 09 Bonnie and a 10 Tiger 1050 and the oil is pretty simple for them.

Last edited:
Back