Need another set of eyes/advice on this.

darynar1016

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my bike together and everything is back in place after a complete teardown this winter but it won't kick over and start.
'79 engine.
Running a PMA, Pamco electronic ignition, and stock spring advance.
Mikuni vm34 jetted by 650central. 180 MJ, 25 PJ, and needle clip halfway. The air screws are 1.5 turned out and the idle sync is set with a 3/16 drill bit.
I have cleaned the carbs out and they get fuel.
For exhaust I have MikesXS straight pipes with baffles.
I have checked and adjusted the cam chain tensioner and lapped the valves accordingly.
I have looked through pamco petes instructions for testing my coil and it seems to be ok.
I am also running iridium plugs that have been gapped.
Last year I ran the bike on a mini .08ah battery and it ran great but the battery is dead now and I want to run a capacitor.

My problem is when I go to kickstart the bike and it won't start. If I run the choke and kick it then it will seem like it has a little life and it could start but it quickly dies. After that regardless of the choke on or off I cannot get much from it. It seems like it doesn't get spark after that first kick until I tinker with the carbs a bit and then once in a while I can get some noise from it but nothing that resembles staying started.
I have checked my wiring and its as simple as it gets and it should be fine as well. I used a diagram from this site and it worked fine all last year when I ran the bike with the little battery.
I have tinkered with my air screws and idle mixtures but I cannot for the life of me figure out my problem.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide. I'm just lost, tired, and need a new set of eyes on this issues.
Thanks.
Daryn.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 9.23.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 9.23.57 PM.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 188
Temporarily connect the PAMCO and the coil directly to a separate fully charged battery sitting on the floor, not connected to the bikes electrical system. This will allow you to start the engine and troubleshoot the PMA and your tiny battery or capacitor or whatever. Do not leave the PAMCO powered up in this manner if the engine does not start or is not running.

Hooked up a new 12v battery and it seems to make the same excitement as before. It will seem like it will want to start but then it just won't go.
The bike pops and indicates a spark with that little excitement when I kick start it a few times but it seems to die out.
If I turn in my idle screws a bit at a time it improves for a bit but nothing to indicate it will actually start.

I've kicked and kicked and I fear I've pulled my groin.
I'm leaving for the summer in a few weeks and I'd like one good ride when my Haifley Bros. seat comes in.
Any help would be appreciated I'm just lost as to what to do next.

I haven't messed with my jetting on my carbs because I didn't change anything on the engine that would make me have to.

Pull the mixture adjustment screw and Spray carb cleaner inside the hole. Use the little red tube that comes with the spray cleaner and stick it right inside. Wait a bit 'til the idle jet varnish softens and spray again. Return the mixture screws to the carbs. Do this and then try to start. Time: 3 minutes.

Tom

Figured out my issue. Thanks for the help everyone. Pretty sure I had a timing/cam alignment issue.
Works now first kick with the cap.

If you have a Pamco and a PMA, did you locate TDC and mark it on the left side cover? Did you mark a corresponding mark on the rotor? Did you locate and mark the idle timing as well as the full advance marks?
With out these marks you won't be able to properly time your ignition.
Once you get these marks, then read the timing instructions on the Pamco website.
Leo

Back