Need Fender help / ideas

So I want to do a lower full fender "tail dragger" without any actual tail dragging. Here is the mockup of what I was thinking for the sides of the fender. Should I go a little lower or does this look okay? I've left 3 1/4" of clearance inside the fender. Next how should I set the line for how low the fender should go? Maybe carry the rear swing arm lines through?

Attachments

• RearFender1.jpg
    RearFender1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 167
  • RearFender2.jpg
    RearFender2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 171
In the right application (and I personally think the rest of your bike is going this direction) these full fenders look cool. Try making the bottom of the fender lined up with the bottom of the rim. You might try cutting it parallel to the ground, kicked up a bit, or parallel to the swingarm angle.

I'll run some lines with tape and see what works. From my google search it looks like the length/height is almost random. I've been looking for a cool way to finish the bottom edge but haven't seen anything yet. I'm trying to finishit with some "Jack Daniels" flare and the theme "Old No 76". I plan on building the plate almost flush into the rear fender as the law states the plate has to be mounted at the rear and horizontal. I have a few other details that I'll hold on to until I see if they will work.

A super-full and low fender works best in my eye when it is as exaggerated as possible. My only particular concern would be with catching it on something, as it would get mangled pretty easily. I'd think it's fair to say that you'll seldom be driving off of any curbs that are taller than your rear tire section (the distance between the ground and the rim), so cutting it at the height of the bottom of the rim would seem like a good starting point.

Arlen Ness is known for nice taildragger rear fenders; search Google for pics. Level to the ground, at the height of the rim, with a subtle kickout, all seems very standard and classic.

That style of fender, properly-constructed, should be more than strong enough to hold itself up without rear stays, as long as it is seriously fastened to the frame at two other points at least 90 degrees apart (for instance, the bottom front edge, and behind your seat).

Back