Need help identifying this regulator rectifier combo

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought this regulator rectifier combo off ebay awhile back to replace my 77's separate units. I planned to use it with the simplified wiring harness.

I just pulled it out to get started on it and realized that I have no idea where this is from. The guy had it listed as a unit from a running 82' special but I cannot find any stock unit like this one.

I was going to use a combined unit from a special to replace my separate units- attached is the wiring diagram that everyone has probably seen. This unit comes with a few different wires though and makes me think it's not a stock unit. I have 3 yellow, 1 white, and 1 black wired to one plug and a red, green, and black wired to another.

When I was trying to identify this unit I found mikesxs has one that looks identical to this one with only some different colored wires. that one is a plug and play for the stock standards wiring harness and I tried to see if this would plug into it but it wont- but it looks like mikes unit has two different plug ends to choose from.

I've attached pictures of the wiring diagram I'm using, my unit, and mikes unit. Can someone tell me what this unit is and If' I can use it?

Attachments

• noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg
    noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20120613_203151.jpg
    IMG_20120613_203151.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 24-2089.jpg
    24-2089.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 119
I think it is from an XS750/850 triple definably not for the 650 they have one plug. A later model, 80-83 TCI reg/rect solid-state unit can be used, have to use nylon screws on the brushes to isolate them.

Back