Need help locating carbs!

haggerty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking for help finding new replacement carbs for my bike. Miles xs is back ordered for replacement carbs and I'm usually sketched out by eBay. Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy replacements? Thanks.

Micheal Morse AKA 650 central actually knows how to set up his carbs to run on your bike, at least as well set as they can be considering he is a long ways from your bike.

http://www.650central.com/

you can find cheaper but if you want carbs that will run he's a good answer.

What's wrong with the carbs on the bike? The carb guide can help get them working.
Leo

Reading the carb guide will not replace missing parts but will help you tear down, clean, inspect what you have. This is very good experience. Keeping your carb clean is very important no matter what carbs you have.
You may find your carbs are only needing a good cleaning. Perhaps once you get them clean finding the parts you need won't be to hard. Some one on here may have what you need. Ebay may have the parts too.
Leo

Here's a picture of the inside of my carbs, any idea where to start?
9b8u.jpg

They look pretty good from here. Crud on the outside looks bad but won't have much effect on how the carbs work. Crud on the inside will have an effect.
Those are BS 34 carbs from an 82 or later bike. The black foam floats are the give away.
The first thing I would do is print this out, www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf This is the carb guide. Once you print it out read it, several times. Now follow it to proper tear down, clean, inspect what you have.
Spray carb cleaner will do a good job of cleaning. If no air compressor caned air that they sell for cleaning key boards will suffice.
Pics of the carbs from left side, right side, front, back, top and bottom will help use help you figure out just what's missing.
I have a set just like that on my 75 right now. They work very well.
Leo

It is recommended to keep the slides and needles and needle-jets as a set and replace in the same side they come out of.

Right carb into one zip lock bag , left in the other

Right now about the only missing parts are for the enrichener. Those carbs had a cable that run from a lever under the left side controls down to the carbs. On the carbs there was a holder for the cable end and a way to attach the cable to that rod that runs across both carbs.
I think I have some pics that show it. I modified an old garden tractor choke cable to work on mine.
Leo

Attachments

• New choke cable 002 (925x694).jpg
    New choke cable 002 (925x694).jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 250
  • New choke cable 001 (950x713).jpg
    New choke cable 001 (950x713).jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 278
In those pics you can see on the left side the part the cable hooks to on the rod. In the center mounted on one carb is the part that holds the cable.
As I said, so far that's all I see missing. Just reviewed your pics. In the first pic the butterfly shaped plate on the top of the carbs is missing too.
Leo

maybe an option for you maybe not, I bought my carbs for a guy who completly reconditions them and sells them. I swear my 1970 set looks brand new. Maybe check ebay, google soydercycleworks, send them to him to recondition them perhaps. Just an option is all. Costs few hundred bucks, buthe goes through them and restoresthe outside as well. Some people will say it costs too much and what not but when you factor your time to DIY it becomes more appealing.

Good luck.

Here is my set
img0075pq.jpg

Here is the dude spydercycleworks.

Is there anyway you can show me how the enhancer mechanism should operate? I feel like mine doesn't slide as it was designed to, before I go and try and modify a choke lever onto it. Also, I am missing the butterfly clip on the top of the carbs left side that would hold the cable for the choke to the handlebars. I'd like to fashion a cable-less one like your Leo, if it's working the right way... I really appreciate all the feed back guys.

If you look at the pics, As you pull the knob out, it pulls the rod over, this pulls the enricheners open. One on each carb. When the enrichener is open extra fuel flows to enrichen the starting mix.
What gggGary is showing you is a way to change the rod so a knob can be put on the rod. No extra cable like I did.
Leo

Thanks guys, the small rods going into the carbs chokes seems to get stuck open when I try and pull the rod manually, I sprayed them down and cleaned them the best I could. Should it want to stay open or should I have some resistance or am I missing a spring to make them close if I'm not pulling it "open"?

When you move the lever under the left side switch housing it has tension on the lever so it holds the enrichener at what ever position you set the lever at. As you return the lever to shut the enrichener off there are springs on the plungers inside the carbs that push the plungers closed.
The plungers can be removed from the carbs by unscrewing the cap nuts that hold them on. The springs are probably ok just a bit of crud needs to be cleaned out.
Leo

Well, after messing with them, my left side carb body near the bowl is damaged and bent, the enhancer seems to be missing more pieces than it has. Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy replacement carbs? I looked at 650central and 500$ seems abit pricey and Mikes xs is back ordered through October.. Craigslist in the north east doesn't see many xs650's either..

Back