Need help mounting solo seat

drummin777

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need help. The studs on my solo seat are at angle. How can I mount the seat so my springs are not at a goofy angle? I hope this makes sense. I included pics to help.

hmmm, my first thoughts are your seat should be slid down and forward but if thats how you like it, I would be looking at making a threaded sleeve bent to the angle you want it at. if you follow.

ie/ Think of a 90deg fuel petcock... same principal but goes onto your solo seat studs.
My springs sit on an angle, then when its all put together I push them forward over the bungs on the frame and its done, all sits nice, looks fine, rides nice. when you lift the seat is the only time you notive the angle.

Pete

From your pics, I don't think you have many options with that seat. I have had the same problem and the only thing you can really do is raise the front to make the rear vertical. But it looks like you are off by a lot. If the 2x4 dictates where you want it, the springs probably won't function properly. If you compromise to lower the rear a bit you might get by. You need to align a cross member between your frame at the point of contact where the springs will meet it and see how close to vertical you can get it. If you look a pic of my bike you can see what I'm talking about.
full

Since that photo I raised the front with 4 washers to level it out and make it more ride-able.. I hope that helps..

What kind of springs are you using? The hairpins or torsion springs may work better in your case. I don't think barrels are going to work good for ya there.

I had planned on using the hairpins, but now Im not sure. That is close to how I would like the seat to sit but Im open to adjusting it if need be. I was thinking about some kind of adapter, but I thought Id post here first and see if any of you guys could tell me if I did something wrong of if there was solution. Next time I will definately buy a seat pan and make my seat. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Keep them coming! Ill post up whatever I do to get it mounted.

Ill post up whatever I do to get it mounted.

Well..........

I have a similar issue. My angle isn't quite as bad though. I like the barrel springs better than hairpins but that might be the easiest solution for me. Any other ideas out there??

20140312_103626_zpsde90f90e.jpg

You don't have the hinge mounted yet. Looks like it will sit even on the cross tube once you get the hinge on the backbone

the tabs are going to be way smaller than that. Front will only be up 1/4" to 1/2" from where it is in the pic.

You should have mounted the seat before the electronics tank. The cross tube for the seat might have to go back a bit and it should line up. Your seat stantions will be on an angle though. Your electronics tank will have to be moved. Just put in another piece of flatstock for the tank.

Back