need help on 76 wiring

Fatman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Picked up a 76 roller and it came with out keys. Was trying to just hot wire it to get the engine up and going. The safety relay is MIA but everything else seems to be there. What got me stumped is the yellow wire from engine stop to coils. I can't seem to get my head around how this works. When I get to the point of wiring i will just go back with new, with head light, tail/brake light,horn, pamco and maybe turn signals. Can I wire across the thee wires on the switch and go? I know I'm missing something but damn if I know what LOL
Thanks
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• 76 wire.jpg
    76 wire.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 80
Hey, I don't know about the wiring, but when I got mine it also had no keys. First thing I did was take the ignition cyllinder to a locksmith. They looked at the numbers on it, refrenced that to a list they have and bing-o bang-o I've got a pair of keys.....

Hey, I don't know about the wiring, but when I got mine it also had no keys. First thing I did was take the ignition cyllinder to a locksmith. They looked at the numbers on it, refrenced that to a list they have and bing-o bang-o I've got a pair of keys.....

good to know, but wasn't planing on using switch. Just wanted to get enging running and see what I got before putting it in other bike. Might be as fast to just rewire it LOL
:D:D:thumbsup:

Attachments

• eazy wire.jpg
    eazy wire.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 50
You should be able to disconnect the ignition switch from the wiring harness, jump the red and brown wires on the harness to give you power to the bike, and start it by either the starter button or kick.

Just run a 12v hot wire directly from the battery to the yellow wire going to the coils. That should get it started. There should be a brown wire from the kill switch also. That would normally have 12v on it with the key on. With the switch in the run position it sends the 12v to the coils through the yellow wire.

Back