Need help on install of a PAMCO

mnraider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok first let me say I am sorry if this is a dumb question but... I am installing a PAMCO on a 1977D I removed the points. Now I can not figure out how to get the bushing off so I can install the rest of the PAMCO. :doh: I did remove the nut but I still just can not get the bushing off. :banghead: Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

MNRaider

Ok first let me say I am sorry if this is a dumb question but... I am installing a PAMCO on a 1977D I removed the points. Now I can not figure out how to get the bushing off so I can install the rest of the PAMCO. :doh: I did remove the nut but I still just can not get the bushing off. :banghead: Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

MNRaider

That bushing is actually the points cam. Use a pin punch or something similar to tap on the end of the advancer shaft. Give it a few light taps with a hammer and you should see the shaft move inward slightly. Now go to the other end and tap the shaft back inward. This should free up the points cam. If not you could just keep tapping on the points cam end until the shaft releases the points cam. While doing this you will be pushing the slotted disk away from the fly-weights on the right side. If you disengage the fly-weights you just have to re-install them, when installing the pamco rotor.

Attachments

• Advancer Rod.JPG
    Advancer Rod.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 217
There's a good chance that points cam has never been off since the factory installed it in '77. The rod and cam are just raw steel so could be rusted together. Try some penetrating oil and maybe a little heat if it won't budge after a little tapping.

Back