need help please

crazyazsredneck

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
does anybody know how to look up my vin number for free. ms, wont give a title with bill of sale if bike has not been title here before.i need to find out who titled it last. so i cane get a title:banghead:

Your DMV should be able to tell you who the last person who registered it. If not maybe your state police can run the numbers and tell you.
Both may have a charge for the service.
If it wasn't titled in the state your in, do you know what state it came from? Ask that states DMV or state police.

They don't like to release that kind of info even if they have it. That's why it's hard to track down your old car, for example. Lotsa luck. They've really cracked down on titles the last few years, because of how easy it used to be to get a title for a stolen car. Still lots of people apparently get a title or some other paper in a lenient state, and then use that to get a title in their home state..

States are getting really picky now. Delaware has some tough ones. Just to get a title in your name, even if you're not registering yet, you still have to get the vehicle inspected. Even if it's just a frame it's gotta go through.
Delaware also has no antique tags. Well, we do, but it's not like other states. Antique tag here means ONLY parades.
You need a title for everything.

Many years ago I lived in an apt bldg where a nice Russian family lived and the guy was always working on some new car he'd gotten. Then I read in the paper about a Russian mob ring that was stealing cars up east and sending them down here to get titled. The guy ended up getting shot outside a bar and crashing and dying while he was driving himself to the hospital. That's no way to immigrate.

crazy,

Try just typing your VIN number into Google and it will find the last or current registration information in many jurisdictions.

If that's true, I wish I'd done it before I registered it myself. I'd like a word or two with my pea brained P.O.

I was talking to a friend lastnite about this after I replied. He told me a horror story of how he had a car and title, but never changed it. About a year later he went to get the title, but the PO had gotten a duplicate title, reported the car stolen, ect. He had done this on purpose and got the car back. He told the cops the title was in the car and a perspective buyer took off with the car and title. My friend tried everything he said, but the court said "oh well". The court asked why he waited a year to change the title and the receipt had a fake signature on it. The PO must have had someone else write it up and sign it to make it look forged.
That type of crap scares me.

Could have been worse; he could have been picked up and jailed for a while. Here the title has a line where you sign it over, and a notary is supposed to witness that happening and stamp it.

We have a signiture line as well, but don't need a notary. In Pennsylvania it is illegal to have an open title, meaning that a buyers name must be filled in.

Here in Delaware, on the bottom of the title there is a perforated piece that the seller takes off, fills in the buyers name, address, and drivers license number, and mails it to the DMV. You need to do that same day too. Delaware doesn't mess around.

My friend got lucky and has vowed to gut the PO if he ever sees him again. I still kinda wonder about the whole story though.

Back