Need help starting

Chris Costello

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying to kick start this bike for the past hour straight. My electric start doesn't seem to work, however the kick start has gotten me two semi-successful starts. The bike started for about 2 seconds twice however it hasn't been able to stay on longer than that. I have the choke pulled all the way and I've been kicking for about an hour, I've let fuel into the engine and nothing seems to be happening. Just for context this bike has been sitting for longer than 10 years and I just got finished restoring her. Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris

OK, You've "restored" her. Not sure what that means. We need more information. Have you cleaned the carbs? How's the timing? What was her condition when you started your efforts?
What model are you working with? We need a little help here.

roy

My apologies for the lack of information, guys. I've just been a little caught up with the bike. It's a 1981 Yamaha XS650. I've completely rebuilt the carbs, replaced (what I thought) all of the dry rotted rubber, and a few other things here and there. After seeing TwoManyXS1Bs' comment I checked the spark plugs and accidentally ripped one of the spark plug wires apart. I figure it wasn't making a full connection and was nearly broken in the first place. So now my goal is to replace the wires and see if the bike will start. Would anyone happen to know where I could find these wires? I plan on visiting PepBoys or some other automotive store tomorrow to peruse their inventory.

The stock TCI coil has "non replaceable" plug wires. I think they've been changed by a few on here anyways but the wires are molded on to the coil. Those 90 degree plug boots are a bit notorious for failure also.

The stock TCI coil has "non replaceable" plug wires. I think they've been changed by a few on here anyways but the wires are molded on to the coil. Those 90 degree plug boots are a bit notorious for failure also.
Damn. So I presume the most viable solution is to buy a whole new ignition system?

Post a picture of the coil and wires. It may or may not be stock. There is a guy on here that sells good used stuff. gggSomething or another.

IMG_9708.JPG

In the plug boot there is a threaded spike. Cut off a fresh end of wire, and thread it back on the boot. The wires are not replaceable, but the boots/caps are. Turn your idle up, that way when it does a half assed start, it will run longer. Be prepared to shut it down. Not good to hi rev with cold oil, but you gotta do what you gotta do

Yes the boots are replaceable they are 5K resistor boots. It's not 100% required they be resister, but it cuts RF noise. They can be measured, checked with a VOM. Replacement coils, new and used are readily available IIRC the spec is dual tower (2 plugs) 2.4 ohms, 3 ohms are suitable also. Avoid the lower ohm CDI type coils, that are more like .7 ohms Accel 140403,140403S coils are a popular option. (sometimes found reasonable used) do NOT use Accel 140404 CDI type coils. Watch out for the cheap mikesXS coils that tend to have VERY weak 12 volt terminals.....
An ebay search for 3 ohm coil returns 100's, this one looks like a decent choice.

Last edited:
Back