Need help wiring - motor identification

Coleslaw

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello people of the XS nation, I need some assistance, I have been looking for a simplified wiring harness for what I believe is a 1980 xs650sg. The P.O. tore the stock harness to pieces and painted most of it. Trying to make heads or tails of the thing. Here the motor please let me know what you think

Attachments

• 20201207_072326.jpg
    20201207_072326.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 20201114_182723.jpg
    20201114_182723.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 174
Yes, that appears to be a 1980 motor but how you wire it will depend more on what electrical components you use than the year of the motor. It has the later style alternator so that wiring will need to cater to that. You also appear to have two ignition systems, both the early points set-up and the later electronic one. You'll need to make a decision there and choose one or the other, then wire accordingly.

Yes, that appears to be a 1980 motor but how you wire it will depend more on what electrical components you use than the year of the motor. It has the later style alternator so that wiring will need to cater to that. You also appear to have two ignition systems, both the early points set-up and the later electronic one. You'll need to make a decision there and choose one or the other, then wire accordingly.

I would like to try to make the bike kick only. I do have a 73' motor that is in parts on my bench would it be beneficial to put the points set up on the 73' and try go with boyer or pamco on the 80? there is a hughs pma on the 73' but it is not complete I'm missing the little black box. The P.O. said he purchased the kit but I believe it was on there prior to him. I do have a capacitor to go battery less on one of them. Hahah its a big mess I've got apple and oranges.

Attachments

• 20201119_130642.jpg
    20201119_130642.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 157
Yes, I would put the points back on the '73 motor. There's no need for a Boyer or Pamco on the '80 motor if you still have the factory ignition black box, which it appears you do. That black box behind the engine leaning against the frame in your 1st pic looks like it.

The "black box" is usually what you call the "brains" of an electronic ignition. That PMA isn't an ignition, it's a charging system, so it won't have a "black box". However, it does need a PMA specific regulator/rectifier unit to control it's charging output. Hugh has them on his site.

Yes, I would put the points back on the '73 motor. There's no need for a Boyer or Pamco on the '80 motor if you still have the factory ignition black box, which it appears you do. That black box behind the engine leaning against the frame in your 1st pic looks like it.

The "black box" is usually what you call the "brains" of an electronic ignition. That PMA isn't an ignition, it's a charging system, so it won't have a "black box". However, it does need a PMA specific regulator/rectifier unit to control it's charging output. Hugh has them on his site.
That is some of the best news I've had all year! Thank you. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back