Need Help

Well I found where the fuel comes out. I put on the choke and turned the gas on and it started flowing out of the little tube on the bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 134
And here is a quick pic from the side. I suppose i should read the tech manual on the carbs. I gave it a quick once over and almost fell asleep.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I suppose i should read the tech manual on the carbs. I gave it a quick once over and almost fell asleep.

I hope you'll accept a suggestion: asking for free advice and help after sending that message above is not really very wise when said to a bunch of people who have worked damned hard acquiring this knowledge over many years. Also, the two guys who wrote that {really quite excellent and VERY useful} Carb Guide are on this forum all the time and are the individuals to whom most of the rest of us owe a lot in getting our own bikes running.

...just a thought...

Weekendrider, thank you - I will track these down.

Edit: I found that the metal caps at the end of those old glass fuses fit perfectly over the mixture screws.

Last edited:
The source of your leak is the outlet for the float bowl overflow pipe. Your carb is over-filling with fuel. That means you have either a bad float or float needle and seat assembly. Or it may be as simple as some dirt stuck in the float needle seat, not allowing the float needle to close and shut off the fuel flow. Is gas coming out both carbs or only the one you've pictured?

So far gas is only coming out of the one. I thought at first that it was because it was the side the kickstand was on and it would lean a little in that direction. So i am definitely going to have to take it off and check it out.

I never said the carb guide wasn't full of useful information or that it was simple to put together, I know I couldn't have done it. I have never read a technical manual that i thought was a real page turner no matter how useful the information in it. Maybe I would be a better mechanic if i did enjoy them more. And yes i am very aware that many of the people on the site have worked damn hard to acquire the knowledge they have and I am grateful for all the help given. And will be grateful for the help i get in the future.

Oh and I was just trying to have a little tongue in cheek fun about reading a technical manual that I had been directed to by at least three people.
So that is what i am going to be reading this weekend. If this fabled technical manual really exists. Thanks for the pointers on the section to focus on. Float bowl and removal and installation and take plenty of notes.

Good on ya mate, 5 Twins let you off with the answer, I was making you go and find it for yourself, "That means you have either a bad float or float needle and seat assembly" your answer lies there. Most likely needle and seat, hence the tap with the screwdriver.
You will be on a winner once you start the repairs yourself, these bikes are very forgiving and you'll be hard pressed to really mess things up.
Most technical manuals put me to sleep too Ha! I admit it....

Im guessing just tapping it isn't going to help but you can be sure I'm going to try it. then measuring the float bowl and cleaning. and probably parts to be ordered.

You might need a new casket for the float bowl if your not careful in removing them, go easy and pry it off really gently, that way you can re use them. Clean, check floats, check needle and seats re assemble and test.
try putting inline fuel filters in too before chucking more crap into the carbs (if that's what's causing it to happen, crap from your tank getting through, which it most likely is) remember these bikes are old and the insides of the tanks rust when not used for ages with little fuel left in them.

Mick

Thank you Lakeview ! feel free to correct my ramblings any time guys ! seriously !
Bob,...........

Just a minor diversion, on a BS34 do the brass caps need to be replaced with something else to stop crap getting in?

Hi Paul,
The brass plugs have a small hole in them that lets the crap in so no.
But if you think you really should re-plug those screws, an extra pair of the top-hat shaped rubber plugs that seal off the slow running jets are a perfect fit.

You might need a new casket for the float bowl

Actually, as long as you don't shoot it, the float bowl should still be alive when the job is complete and so you likely won't need a casket ;) for it...

ok, I'll stop now.....oh, I said that before.

dammit.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good advise. I didn't even think of the inline filters. So the gasket can be reused if I am gentle and a little lucky. I do have a set of carbs that my mechanic said are only good for parts. Maybe I will be able to use the gaskets from them if they are in better shape.

Use the gaskets off the bowls on each carby, the bowl mates with the gasket....

So when are going to see your skills at work? Get "mechanicing" (new word, I made it up) it's not that hard Dozuki....that sounds too much like Suzuki...

I'm going to start mechanicing this weekend, if I can slip away from the wife for some motorcycle time. After doing some reading I think I am going to need compressed air. would the cans of air be strong enough? Mechanicing is a good word I like it. it does sound like Suzuki. A Dozuki is a Japanese shoulder saw.

sense your going into the Carbs buy a can of CARBURATOR CLEANER it comes in a sprey can with a nozzel tube and yes it has a good sprey to it....
that's what I used because my Aircompressor is converted to a gasoline one now and it's too much trouble to fire up just for air pressure !
Dozuki..... that name reminds me of a neighbor Kid who had a Yamaha 125cc dirt bike that had parts from every motor cycle on the market on it....
we jokenly called it a Yamahondakawazuki !!!!! it went like a scalled ape though ! I couldn't keep that kid in sight with my TT500cc from zero to 70mph he could leave me in the dust all the time ! LOL light bike.... Light kid = go fast ! heavy bike heavy guy and sand equils a rooster tail of dirt all the way to where the kid stopped ! about 1/4 mile away on the next ridge..... LOL..... funny but true !
Reading the tech section is my bread and butter ! I love it ! it's not a murder mistry or syfi story,.... but it is very interesting .... if technical info isn't your thing, thats no big deal,...just remember where you found it ! having technical help at your fingertips is a Godsend ! even if your not a machnically inclined person.... the bike won't fix itself and I am sure you have better things to do with your hard earned money than spend it on Shop repairs when you could have done it yourself..... so LEARN to Love the tech section ...its your friend ! LOL
C ya !
Bob...........

If you choose to use aerosol carb cleaner, invest in safety glasses with side shields at a minimum. A face shield would be better. You cannot blink, turn your head or release the button quicker than it can fly into your eyes. Like a firearm, you can only control the results before you pull the trigger. After there is no going back.

Canned air will soon eat up the cost of a small pancake compressor.

Back