Need new cam shaft seal,oring & gasket

5twins,
I did check the shaft, it looks good (no rust) and I felt no grooves or imperfections. That said, I could go back and run some scotchbrite on it just to see if that helps.

And as far as the installation, like I said it went in with only finger/hand pressure. It does not appear to have moved after installation, but now that I think about it maybe it is leaking from the housing/seal interface? I did put sealant there but...

If you remove the points housing you can lay it flat on the bench and press in the seal, a little oil on the outer edge will help, it should not go in very easily without it (i.e. damn tight) the gasket goes on the back of the housing and the oring after that, then a little oil on the inside lip of the seal before screwing it in place with the little dished star washers, and snug it down. That's when you drive the seal in with the large socket and the deadblow hammer, love taps will do it, you will see the lip evenly spread around the camshaft. Now all is golden.:D

There's an old mechanic's trick to seal a seal which should be sealing but doesn't. All being equal, you know the shaft is clean, the seal is new and the damn thing should be doing its job, but it still weeps. Possibly the shaft is a touch undersized or more likely the seal is slightly over.
Just remove the tensioning spring, cut it, and wind the two ends together seamlessly (by overlapping the ends by a few mm and letting them interference wind together). Practice on a junk seal first and you get the hang of it. If necessary, you can shorten the spring to get a bit more tension, but it's likely you won't need to - you don't want it to be too tight, as the seal will wreck in short order. Just enough to do the job.
This method is not a bodge when using it on a new seal - it only becomes a bodge when you're doing it with an old seal :)

I've just installed a new cam seal on the Rhs of the motor, and fired it up for the first time. Thing just started gushing oil out.

I bought the superceded part # from a Yamaha dealer in town.

Maybe I didn't install it correctly, so I'll have to check again and see.

Ryan

The cam seals I got from Mike's did not work. The seal lip is too close to the end of the cam. They leaked like crazy after a couple months. I replaced them with some original ones off of a parts motor.

The ones from the Yamaha dealer may be the same as Mike's. Sometimes they supersede parts and the new parts aren't quite the same as the old. I recently bought some "XS650" crankshaft shims from MamaYama and they are unusable on an XS crank.

Has anyone purchased the seals from Yamaha? I'm curious if the seal lip position is the same as the original seals or further out like the Mike's seals.
how easy is this job to fix got a slight drop after a short run left on the side stand it runs from above the spark plug on to the fin on the barrel about a teaspoon ful guess from reading and looking its the camshaft seal.have ordered a set but think if only one needs replacing that one will be changed. im quite practical minded and think i'm up to it

Back