Need new cam shaft seal,oring & gasket

davenu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi recently got a 83 xs650 and just started to get a drip from my rightside cam cover where is the best place online to get a new seal oring and gasket? Thanks

If you're serious about keeping the bike, it's best to buy a complete engine gasket set, and a seal kit too. It's cheaper that way and you will need/use pretty much everything in the kits eventually. Our main parts supplier is MikesXS but since the new owners took over, I really can't recommend the place except as a last resort. They promised to improve the quality and expand the product line. Basically, all they did was raise the prices, lol. The product line did expand but mainly in the form of parts for other Yamahas like the XS400 and RD350. The 650 parts line is little changed (except for the higher prices) and the quality HAS NOT BEEN IMPROVED. For gasket sets, I use this guy now, same set basically that Mikes sells, just $20 less .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS-6...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8de4204a

I had a bike shop quote me 79$ for the parts- 2 cam shaft seals 2 orings and 2 gaskets from Yamaha- gonna replace both sides even though only ride side just started to leak.. Is this a decent price ??

No, that's not good, they're ripping you off. Genuine Yamaha parts from here will only set you back about $40. The seals, #5, $4.89 each .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y... TENSIONER XS650D - E - E006501- -/parts.html

The o-ring and gasket, #24 and #25, $2.30 and $10.03 respectively .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y...CYLINDER HEAD COVER XS650D - E - E/parts.html

Personally, I'd get the whole gasket set from the eBay link above, and just the seals from the dealer. The gasket set will give you the gaskets and o-rings, plus every other gasket on the motor, and it'll still cost you less than those crooks at the shop quoted you. Jeez, they're charging you like double, lol.

The cam seals I got from Mike's did not work. The seal lip is too close to the end of the cam. They leaked like crazy after a couple months. I replaced them with some original ones off of a parts motor.

The ones from the Yamaha dealer may be the same as Mike's. Sometimes they supersede parts and the new parts aren't quite the same as the old. I recently bought some "XS650" crankshaft shims from MamaYama and they are unusable on an XS crank.

Has anyone purchased the seals from Yamaha? I'm curious if the seal lip position is the same as the original seals or further out like the Mike's seals.

I hope that's not the case I just ordered Yamaha seals oring and gasket from boats.net.....:banghead:

Any luck with those seals from Yamaha?

I tore into my top end last night so I was able to look at the old seals [that work] next to the ones from Mike's [that didn't work]. The old seals are 25x40x6 single-lip, the Mike's seals are 25x40x7 double-lip.

Any luck with those seals from Yamaha?

I tore into my top end last night so I was able to look at the old seals [that work] next to the ones from Mike's [that didn't work]. The old seals are 25x40x6 single-lip, the Mike's seals are 25x40x7 double-lip.

So, I tore into my barn, and dug up this no-name seal kit. Acquired a few years ago from a Canadian bike parts supplier, clearance item on eBay.

The camshaft double-lip end seals are marked "TMSF 395 TC 25 40 5 2".

They look just like this: http://www.colonialseal.com/AS1106.html

5mm thick, haven't tried them, yet...

Attachments

• TMSF-OilSealKit.jpg
    TMSF-OilSealKit.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 335
If you look at this snippit from the 70-73 parts manual, part #6 - camshaft oil seal, you'll notice that the very early XS1-XS1B used a 5mm seal. After that it went up to 6mm thick. Not sure about the "SD" and "S". Thinking that the SD means Dual lip...

Attachments

• EarlyCamSeal.jpg
    EarlyCamSeal.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 319
Hey Mrriggs yes I got all the right parts from boats.net website I had a local shop do the install and everything went well put a couple hundred miles on and no leaks all good.

It will matter how far inset one installs the seals. Flush with the outside of the cam cover is not deep enough. It should inset at least 2mm.:wink2:

I just installed a new seal from Boats.net on the points side. It went in easy, pushed it in by hand. As soon as I started riding the silly thing started leaking. I did only push it in til it was flush on the cam/engine side. If I push it in further will it stop leaking? I was afraid it would hit the cam.

Now that sounds like an incorrect seal, it should be quite tight. You should have to drive the seal in, I use a socket large enough to not hit the camshaft itself, yet fit into the seal seat. If you were to hit anything going it it could only be the cam bearing. No smacking, just tapping!:thumbsup:

Well, I removed the points housing to install it, not with it on the engine.
I thought it was a little too easy going in myself, so I installed it with a little sealant just to be sure. It only leaks a little, just enough to drip down onto the alternator cover and annoy me. That is the reason I replaced it, the old seal had started leaking just like that. And I am sure it is coming from the cam/seal interface, I have watched the puddle form inside the points cover, not outside where it could be a gasket/oring seal issue.

I ordered two of those seals, but if I cant figure out where the issue is then it will be pointless to replace it again and expect a different result.

While you have the housing off, you'll want to clean and prep the end of the cam for the new seal. After 30+ years, most of these cam ends are all dirty and rusty, not good for sealing purposes. Buff the cam end clean and shiny with a Scotchbrite pad. This won't remove any material, just clean and smooth the shaft surface. And believe it or not, a seal lip riding in one spot on a shaft will cut a little groove in there over time. The Scotchbrite pad will take care of that too. This little tip is something you should use on any shaft that's getting a new seal.

For installing these seals, I use a vice and a couple small squares of plywood. I don't pound the seal in, I press it in from the backside of the housing, making it just barely flush with it. I set the seal and housing in a vice with a block of plywood on each side, slowly tighten the vice, and presto, perfectly installed seal. This is about the easiest seal install on this bike.

Back