Need short shallow exhaust bends, where to find?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have a custom exhaust on "madness" 1 3/4" OD headers and am putting on MikesXS commandos. The mufflers are straight and I am not happy with how everything (doesn't) line up. I think I need a short 1 3/4" 15? degree bend/ male female adapter to go between the the muffler and header. Anyone know of such a thing? I may cut bend and weld some mild steel for now but would "like" a nicely done stainless or chrome version.
The mufflers are "too low" and with them on, the headers are forced too far out from the frame, the brackets are out about 2" from the frame mounts, I think a shallow short bend "should" cure both problems. I have had a simular problem with these mufflers on the stock standard headers.

pipes 003.jpg pipes 002.jpg pipes 001.jpg
I can mash the back of these mufflers to clear the axle but I think I need more than that to be a happy camper. The previous "WAY too loud, debaffled" mikes special mufflers have a slight bend at the neck kinda like this;
07-0771.jpg

and fit great.

So my dream part would be kinda like the first 4 inches of that muffler.

These are about the right thing but 1 1/2" OD and maybe a little too much bend.

$T2eC16J,!)EE9s2ufWcHBQrF+7O)P!~~60_57.jpg

Attachments

• pipes 003.jpg
    pipes 003.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 182
  • pipes 001.jpg
    pipes 001.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 190
  • pipes 002.jpg
    pipes 002.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 173
Why not take the bike to a muffler shop, explain what you want and let them bend some pipe to your needs.
Them get it chromed. They may even be able to get stainless or if you get some stainless they can bend it.
Leo

Or have the bends made, then scrounge some chrome covers used by Harley. Bet you could find some that would work well with just a little cutting. I could post some pics of some if you want to see what I'm talking about.

I'm a patient guy, I can wait....

pipe bends 001.jpg

pipe bends 004.JPG

pipe bends 008.jpg

pipe bends 007.jpg

OK maybe not REAL patient :shrug:

1 3/4" ID to OD adapters from NAPA 2 for $6.00 and I uh adapted them.
One side done.
And I may get some chrome covers over them. or just use high temp silver should hit the jet glow silver close enough,

#2 done and they are both on. Funny how much faster example #2 of a fabbed piece goes. Need to finish up some wiring in the headlight shell before I can try the commandos, I replaced the handlebars, turn signals and (gauges again). Electrical projects on a PO's harness breed like flies.

Back