need some help!! going crazy!!

avery

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello there, I have a 1979 650 special that I just got from a buddy of mine. the electric starter is giving me problems. when I push the button to engage the starter it makes a horrible grinding noise. I replaced the starter last nite, not a fun job....got done round 11 last nite....same result. I now believe that I need to replace a #4 gear?? is anyone could give me some advice, directions, tips on how to fix this problem, would be great. be gentle, I am clueless. lol thanks in advance.

avery :banghead:

The common problem seems to be the wishbone spring tension. Don't buy parts until you try to re-tension the spring.

Up in the left corner, there is a "Google custom search". Type in something like ...............wishbone spring. You will get threads that may help you.

gonna begin the operation tonite after work. from what I gather I need to take out the clutch basket? correct? I also understand that the spring can be "tightened" in a vise??

Avery I apologize. I did you a disservice deleting my first post so I will have a go again.
Yes the clutch has to be removed.
You will need a spring scale for small poundage. Something like the scale you use to weigh fish. A scale to check trigger pull would be better.
You want 7-8 lbs. of pressure resistance to pull the spring.
Remove the spring and tighten the small "U" at the bottom in a vise or with pliers if you have any strength left in your hands.
When you reinstall the spring don't force the open end over the gear.
Instead slip one side on and then the other. Check tension again.
If you are satisfied then reinstall the gear.

While there with the things undone.
Sandpaper the sharp edges of the steel plates. Then on a flat surface rough the surface slightly on the metal plates. When you put the clutch back together make sure the hole is lined up with the dot.

Another thing to check would be the adjustment of the shift shaft and condition of the coil springs.

If you haven't gotten one yet a manual would be helpful. 3 would be better as cross reference to each other.

This is snapshot description and NOT a full step by step.

Welcome to the site. Hope you are enjoying your new toy.

ok, oil is draining, removed the kickstart lever, brake lever, foot rest and disconnected the
tach cable. once i remove the side cover, that's where i will be lost. any detailed instructions will greatly help. i've looked a little for some info, but didn't really find anything.

any detailed instructions will greatly help..

Take the side cover off carefully so you can reuse the old gasket. Let it stay stuck to one side or the other. I had to use a long 1/4" extension to get to a cover bolt or two. If you can'f find the right mm 1/4" drive end for it there's a standard American size that's close enough.

You'll have to remove the clutch basket.

Or you might not have to remove it. If you can get alligator vice grips you might be able to squeeze the spring enough to fix it. I've read a report of that. You can test the starter with the cover off to see what happened, just take the coil wire off so it doesn't start!

But what I actually wanted to say was every time you remove something take good digital pictures of it, which will help you get it back together. Also, keep the parts together in the right order while they're off. I went so far as to even keep the clutch plates in the same order. Something to be aware of when you put it back on is there's a mark that has to be lined up with a hole, and it's not obvious. It will go on the wrong way. An electric impact wrench is good for taking the clutch nut loose, which will be tight. A hand impact driver is good for taking out the spring screws. Get yourself a diagram. Been a long time since I did this...

It is best to remove the clutch, because PO's have sometimes ground that #4 gear into uselessness by running that weak spring for ages.
You must have a hand impact tool to remove the phillips screws in the clutch. Don't even think about trying without one.
There are several great clutch install threads read a couple before you start. Order of assembly is critical. Check the springs on the back of the clutch, often a few are broken.

Oh and welcome to the forum. I have learned (the hard way) that any old motorcycle project goes smoother if the first step is a forum search, even if you have the manuals AND read them! The forum often gives real world advice the manual leaves out.

ok, update, I got the six Phillips head screw bolts and springs out last nite. so tonite will entail trying to get that dam clutch nut off. what size is that puppy? I have heard 27mm and 29mm

IMAG0194.jpg

would be nice to show a side view too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back