Need your advice

Hairic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so here I am face with a decision, I am faced at the moment to Spend 3k or there abouts on my project, located here.http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32076 for things like, New big fin cylinder head and piston kit, pma, pamco, gaskets and various nuts and bolts that are missing, Thats all for the motor atm, then forward controls, tires, tubes, brake pivot, fender, fender struts, seat and mount, handlbars and a few other items. And that would prob put me about 3/4 of the way there as far as parts, atleast as far as I can tell right now. Or I can spend the same amount of money and Buy a used harley sportster 16 k miles with several custom items. So the question is what should I do, I feel most of you will say put the money in the xs, and a huge part of me wants to, however i could get the sporster keep the xs and keep building it, granted it will push the finish line on the xs way back. Now If it wasn't for my lack of knowledge on what I may run into with the xs after all these parts are ordered I prob would go right ahead and buy all the parts I need, But im afraid I will spend this money then find I need another 2 grand to finish and not have a bike for the upcoming season. SO thoughts? also that price is with out paint, or anything I will have to have custom made like spacers, Also my front end top triple tree clamp will have to be custom made to fit risers as I do not want to run clip ons, It also lacks all hand controls, anything for the carbs, cables, new brakes, chain. electrical wiring. The end

go with your hart man or find an unfinshed xs with a running eng. but you have to do whats wright for you. me I'd do the xs thing but the sportster sounds like a goog deal,
and it puts your knees in the breezes sooner

Yeah I keep thinking if I would of waited and found a running xs it would of been a totally different story, never have even seen one of these in person before getting this one so my skills and knowledge are lacking to say the least, but I know the feeling of riding somthing I built will be much greater than one I just bought. And thats what keeps me wanting to go the xs.

Or you could find another running XS in the 9-$1300 range and ride it for the season while contemplating.

I have thought about that, there is one here in kansas I have been watching, Thought about buying it and steeling the motor and what ever else off it to finish my build, after I learn the bike of course, then I would have parts for the second build I want to do.

Buy a runner and then find a non running, titled parts bike and you'll be in xs650 hog heaven. May be able to parlay parts to help offset what you need. Having an extra bike or two is invaluable and the possibility of getting a titled non-runner to run and then possibly sell? Or wind up with two runners, one stock and the other hard tail and still have a parts bike........
For myself, it sure was handy having a parts bike to refer to when getting my '83 in running condition. Still kicking myself for selling that '82 titled frame. Now if I can title that '81 parts bike I picked up......

I know it sucks but IMO if you buy a running harley or whatever, you'll never look back at that XS. Get a parts bike and get that sucker going. Nothing like firing up a 30-40 year old bike that's been sleeping for a decade or 2.

Honestly. If you want to ride buy something rideable. Nothing worse than rushing a project.and wasting a season not riding. Both are a shame really.

Posted via Mobile

Back