Neutral on my bike is more elusive than a G-Spot!

I've had this same problem, I adjusted the clutch nut under the left side small chrome cover between the gear selector and the larger cover. I also found that if you rock the bike back and forth while you try for neutral it helps, and if you do a quick light kick to the gear selector when stopped from second it finds it easier.

Well you kind of just insert you finger & sort of ....um sorry got confused there...yes yes neutral detent...or clutch adjustment, or you need to file the fingers down on your clutch basket....

They are bad about it, even when well adjusted. Read about clutch adjustment and get that right. It can be helpful to take up slack at the lever which develops when the motor is warmed up. After that, learn to shift into neutral before you stop, and if you are stopped, I find it easier to go from second gear and quickly tap down with the heel of my shoe.

Get the clutch right first, though. :)

John

Ok so it seems it is a XS characteristic and will be a bit of a fiddle with the clutch, few twists of the clutch nut and bit of a stroke on the clutch lever….

Simple.

Rocking back an forth does help when cold. When I got the bike and first started her up I found Neutral no problem, once I was riding even when I stopped for gas couldn't get it.
Got to point I had to start the bike in gear with clutch pulled.

Another couple of things not yet mentioned.
Check that the clutch cable is properly routed on the bike.
Buy a pressure cable luber and keep your clutch cable lubed regularly.
When it comes to finding neutral on these old bikes it seems every little thing helps,but it certainly is a common problem.
But making sure your 2 adjustment points,at the LH case,and at the handlebars,is set as per your manual, is of most importance.

Since any degree of difficulty is not an objective measurement, it's hard to know how dire your situation is. However, if it's real bad, and other adjustments don't help, you might want to check that the needle bearing under your clutch boss isn't bent or in other ways destroyed.

Um. Okay, aside from making sure your clutch is adjusted properly, this is classic throw out bearing issues. Live with it (learn to shift to neutral coming up to a light) or fix it:
- take off right side cover
- remove clutch springs and face
- remove clutch plates (and might as well do these now)
- remove clutch basket (paying attention to washer order carefully)
- remove old too-few rollers throw out bearing
- replace with new many rollers throw out bearing
- reinstall clutch basket (paying attention to washer order carefully)
- reinstall clutch plates
- reinstall clutch face/springs
- reinstall right sidecover (with new gasket, of course)

Done.

There are a few other "might as wells" in there as well, like oil pump, clutch springs, check to make sure you still have your washer at the bottom of your tach drive... Little things.

Or... Live with it. :D

Had the same issue with my bike. Found neutral no prblem when I got it. Then after tearing the engine down and putting it back together couldn't get neutral when running for the life of me. Adjusted the clutch till I was blue in the face, was a little better, but got bad again, and even worse.

Searched, found the clutch adjustment threads, did it again the "correct" way. Now neutral is MUCH easier to find, albeit a little finicky. However I can get it now, so I'll live with that.

Do your clutch adjustment EXACTLY the way the pros on this site tell you too and I bet that will help. Doing it the way you have on other bikes wont.

I don't understand why everyone wants to shift into neutral at a stop light, you don't do that in a car..............or do you?? You should keep the bike in first gear, so that you can quickly get out of the way, if a vehicle starts to back up towards you.

As the engine heats up, the free play at the clutch lever will increase................as you ride, re-adjust the free play back to the same as the cold engine setting.....................that will give maximum clutch dis-engagement.

It's not bad to leave the vehicle in gear, but it *will* prematurely wear your throwout bearing holding the clutch at a stop light - and i mean a full stop light - a stop sign? I'm not sure i even "stop", to be honest. :D

Well it looks like I have some work ahead f me to even try & remedy this………
I only got the bike yesterday so have no idea of the condition of the clutch, bearings, etc or the type of oil.

I got a message from the previous owner in regards to no neutral..
I tried to adjust (Clutch nut) but being healthy & modified ..It slips when you adjust too much.. standard XS bikes don't go as goo as her.
modified ignition ,, 30 thou oversized pistons . port and polished heads , new clutch , new cams and bearings , new cam chain and cam chain guides ..rebuilt forks ..and seals .. also an oil cooler has been plumbed in ..

So I am not sure what that means. Did he never use neutral? It is a 650 and until I crack her open I guess I will never really know about the mods too much.

I am thinking to try and get involved in a shed day where I can investigate this with some more knowledgeable people overlooking (making sure I don't wreak the bike).

A shed day sounds like a good idea. That gives you an experienced eye to watch and point out possible problems.
Leo

after only a few hundred miles i have realized that neutral can be a pain to find. if you want to get into neutral from first gear, and you "pass" it.... just a quick tap on the shifter back downward will pop mine right into neutral. if i am coming to a stop light and want neutral, i can just tap down lightly on the shifter and it will go right into neutral as well. But i agree that sitting in gear is much safer if someone is coming up behind you too fast and you need to move ahead.

Of all the "Can't find Nutral" and "Clutch Adjustment" threads, no one ever suspects the carbies and ignition system..
I know this sounds crazy at a first read. But, we know your oil effects how the clutch works. As the engine gets real hot, oil viscosity breaks down. If your running too lean, your engine will run hot and effect the clutch and shifting. Just an observation I had once when adjusting my carbs, was running lean/hot and shifting got real stiff. The bike will shift a lot easier if it's at the correct operating temperature range.

At a full stop neutral is very much a hit or miss. 2 misses to one hit.
Putting it in neutral while still rolling is pretty much a hit.

When parking I usually shut off the engine, then click it up one.

My clutch is set so it drags a little when cold. The clutch is smooth and disengages completely by the time i reach the end of my 400 ft driveway.

Back