Neutral Switch leaking oil

It might just be loose so try tightening it slightly first. If it's not loose then it probably needs to be replaced. The switch is a metal outer nut with a plastic core. The core comes loose sometimes and replacement is the only fix.

First, don't tighten it unless it's very loose. If you strip out those threads on the top of the case, you're done. Look up the torque spec for it - and use something less.

There is a fix for the old switch. Screw it out and carefully stake it or pinch it with mini vice grips top to bottom in six places. It tightens up the plastic core and makes it good as new. Been there. Thanks Pamcopete.

Clean it, roll some Teflon tape on the treads, and screw it back in.
If you think the unit it self is leaking, get a new one, and do the above to it.

Thanks for the suggestions
It is definitely tight, and there's a black plastic coating on top of the nut with the wire sticking out of it. Does that peel back easily and get re-used? It seems tightly adhered.

That's not a plastic coating, it's a plastic core through the screw.

Here is a picture of the staking fix.

switch.jpg

I did this on my '78/E about 10 years ago and it held till I sold the bike. Had to do the same thing to my '81/H about 2 years ago and it's holding as well.

Put the switch in a vise or, if you don't have a vise, just use a short piece of pipe or a socket.

Best to use a mini vice grip if you have one; more controlled pressure and no chance of a mis-hit.

Speaking of nuetral switches. Does anyone know offhand what size the screw is? I lost mine and would like to replace it. And, the cover on the wire, how do you get that back to put a screwdriver on the screw? Heat?

Back