New Bike FJ-09

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just signed for my first new Yamaha and first triple. Picking it up tomorrow in time for the long weekend!

Attachments

• SAM_3014.JPG
    SAM_3014.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 246
  • SAM_3015.JPG
    SAM_3015.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 227
will you be updating the suspension or getting a power commander? I've heard the throttle mapping (especially in standard and A mode) can be really twitchy. Also heard the suspension is pretty under-damped.

I test rode a FZ-09 when they first came out and it was a SWEET bike, but certainly was suffering from the above mentioned issues. I'm pretty sure they are better on the FJ.

Regardless, GREAT bike! I'm super jealous, as I would love to have one. They sound sweet with a good exhaust on them too!!!

Well, 105 km into the break in, I am impressed how light and responsive it is compared to the V-Strom DL1000 it is replacing. I hope to go down to Prince Edward County Saturday or Sunday to see the lilac trees in bloom, but I have my 1000 km. initial service booked for Wednesday, I will have to ration saddle time!
It has ABS, traction control, 3 driving modes, 2 seat heights, 3 wind shield adjustments and several screens of info to cycle through, going to need to study the owner's manual.
It jounces on bumps, I will let the suspension work in a bit before I soften the settings.

Attachments

• SAM_3030.JPG
    SAM_3030.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 212
  • SAM_3033.JPG
    SAM_3033.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 206
  • SAM_3040.JPG
    SAM_3040.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 192
  • SAM_3044.JPG
    SAM_3044.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 186
I installed the top box, a left mirror extender and the engine guards today. The exhaust system is starting to sound more like a triple as the silencer gets some carbon in it. It revs quickly and pulls strong and I haven't even got it out of B (rain) mode yet. So much lighter feeling and easier handling than the V-Strom, which was a great bike that I liked a lot.
Wind shield is more of a concept than protection, but it does keep the wind off my chest.

Attachments

• SAM_3107.JPG
    SAM_3107.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 170
Back after the first rain testing - I got just as wet as on the last bike! 600 km showing now.

If I can't have analogue tach and speedo, a really good consolation is the gear display. (and all that other stuff it can tell you if you remember how to click through the screens)
I know I should not need it, but it saves a lot of checking.

1600 km now, what an enjoyable bike. Riding along I kept thinking that the machine reminded me of another but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Then it came to me.
It was like my DRZ 400 SM, but with 6 gears and bunch more horsepower! (Specs say it is about 120 pounds heavier)

I just got my Givi pannier mounts so I will install them now and see what it is like as a right size ADV bike.

With those bags loaded up and a quick drop of the clutch...watch that front end! I have an FZ1, and with full bags on long trips, that front end is hard to keep down. :) LOVE IT!!!

Well there it is folks. The Givi racks came as quick detachable, so that is nice. I have not yet tried it at cruising speed, caution will be in order especially when loaded for a trip. Glad I did not sell the bags with the V-Strom, they actually look better on this one than the Suzuki.
cheers

Attachments

• SAM_3171.JPG
    SAM_3171.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 204
  • SAM_3170.JPG
    SAM_3170.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 199
  • SAM_3172.jpg
    SAM_3172.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 181
  • SAM_3173.jpg
    SAM_3173.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 212
  • SAM_3181.jpg
    SAM_3181.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 195
  • SAM_3174.JPG
    SAM_3174.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 190
I'm totally jealous....if my versys wasn't paid off I'd love a new touring mount. Not that the Ole v does anything bad, but that triple would be sweet.

Well, I sprung for the National Cycle Sport/Touring wind shield and it is the cherry on the sundae. Just a bit bulkier but does not look like a senior's ride. Now I can hear the pleasing triple dissonance, starts to sing around 5000 rpm.
What a bike!

Yeah windshield is mandatory.

I did crash bars and highway pegs too. I have givi v35 bags but find them a bit small ....worst part is the factory kawi givi mounts don't allow for a top case....booo. wish I used motechs.

Heated grips and heated vest also extend my riding season a ton....pretty much a go to actually. Even when the weather is around 18c on the highway it's on low.

What I said earlier about "no new bike in my future"?
I lied.
2016 FJ09 in my garage. Everything the OP said is true. I LOVE this bike!
A taller windshield and a better seat and it will be perfect.
I had no idea what I've been missing for the last 40 years...

Isn't it though? No worries. Reliable. Starts every time. Big stator to run heated gear. Modern tires, suspension, awesome luggage options.

Have fun!

Back