New boy with a request !

pukey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently acquired a yearning to own and modify an XS650 after spending a number of hours on google images.

I'm particularly interested in Cafe racering one in a similar way to the one in the links below, subtle bordering on looking stock to the untrained eye!

What I would like is some better pictures of this particular bike and I was hoping that you may be able to help?

http://vimeo.com/19232594

http://blackandbike.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html

Also any info or observations about it that explain how this look has been acheived would be great, I think that it's been built from a custom or heritage custom due to the rear wheel and the tank (which I think is the smaller one with the offset filler). Can anyone tell me which model the side panels(airbox) are from and whether the forks have been shortened or are from a certain model?

Most available for a reasonable price in the UK are the Custom models and I'm wondering what the differences apart from seats, bars and tanks are?

Thanks in advance Luke

I agree the seat is great, can't read the name tag when you blow it up though. I should imagine that it's made in Australia, possibly a one off?

Anyone got any ideas about any of my questions?

Just realised that the paint job on the tank is an original Yamaha design after searching this site, is there any resource available that shows all the different ones that Yamaha did, I'm sure there are many

Cheers Luke

On both of those links there is a web address of www.deus.com.au have you tried emailing that address and asking them?
My guess is a 78 or 79 Special was what it started out as. The rear disc brake indicates that.
Stock tank , side covers too I think.
With a cafe or tracker you don't shorten the forks. Limits lean angle. Longer rear shocks lift the bike, increase lean angle and derake the forks slightly to steer quicker.
Seats probably home built, one of a kind.
Leo

I got on their website it's a 1978 but you can't email them unless you sign up for tumblr or something like that, and you can't sign up unless you have a URL for your own website, the seat has a brand name tag on the side but I can't read it

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the reply, I guess that that the special is the same as the custom in the UK, they look the same on google images. The bike in the pics is said to be a 78, am I right in saying that that has a smaller tank and the deus bike has one?

I didn't consider that the rear had been lifted as the wheel is still nicely tucked up underneath the seat, the bike certainly seems to sit flatter than a special does so I wondered if they had longer forks!

I've looked hard at those side panels, they do taper down a little on the top edge, but I came to the conclusion that the special panels tapered off more, I think that I'd try to get some older ones that follow the top tubes better anyway!

Cheers Luke

Thanks HC,

Won't bother trying to contact them then.

Once I get a bike I'll get to grips with what they did I'm sure, the tank looks so much bigger than it does on a special, possibly because the huge seat isn't there to over shaddow it?

Cheers Luke

Ok,

Tonight I have shaken hands on a 1980 Custom/special, just got to give him the cash and take it away!

So the search for parts and info begins.

First off is the decals for the tank, I like the design from the XS-2 as shown in the link on Yamasarus's bike I beleive

View attachment 2060

I have looked and don't seem to find this design as a kit any where and also I wonder if it would fit properly on a special tank?

HooliganCycles, I showed the chap who is selling me the bike the Deus pictures that I posted and he showed me that you can get an almost identical one from ebay, the only difference being that the seat pad is stitched crossways, see link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cafe-Race...ccessories&hash=item2c61be0b8d#ht_2469wt_1187

Thanks again Luke

Cool bike, though you should maybe take what you like from it and build something similar, but a bit different. Let your imagination run wild.

Same same but different, some may say.

Good luck with the build! post some pictures of your new ride

Hi Tron,

That is certainly my intension, I do love that bike just as it is but a direct copy is not what I'm aiming for, I do love the graphics on it though, even more now I know they're stock Yamaha, I have some ideas, but as you know thing evolve!

As soon as I get it home I'll post some pictures of the base bike.

Cheers Luke

Deus bikes are the shit! That's good inspiration for your first build. Keep your special tank, it's smaller, and will look better, and make things easier for you.

The cafe seat you linked to is going to take some fabrication to get it mounted, it's for an SR4/500, a bit different that a 650 (but not way different). Do you have the tongue mount on your '80 special like that seat does? Or is it the side hinge mount? Also, there is a rear frame loop on the 650 that might get in the way of that seat. MikesXS has a cafe-style seat that's a bit bigger than that one, but is a direct bolt on for your bike. It looks nice. Depending on your fabrication skill level it might be the way to go. TeeCat on this forum has one, with a stock-ish bike, search for him and see how you feel about it.

Welcome to the community and congrats on your purchase.

Thanks Oak,

I realise the seat will require a bit of fettling, the bike has tongue mounts at the front and a locking mechanism at the rear that could possibly be incorporated ? Your right the rear loop would need removing and the frame rebracing, I'm pretty good at welding and fabrication, even if I do say so myself.

I want the seat to be about the same length as the Deus bike, so it's for the chop.

Cheers Luke

Last edited:
Those seats can be had from Motolanna. Search eBay and this forum for them. They're much smaller/thinner than Mike's cafe seats.

hey Pukey - the seat the Deus bike is using is a Nitroheads seat for a SR400/500 - I've got the Motolanna copy its a pretty good, vinyl though, as Oak said, shorter, but fits well with a few mods.

I saw that bike in the flesh in the Deus showroom last year, a fine low and muscly look but they also wanted $12,750 for it. Crazy talk.

http://www.vanem.com.au/ChassisOther.htm

Hi Tron,

That is certainly my intension, I do love that bike just as it is but a direct copy is not what I'm aiming for, I do love the graphics on it though, even more now I know they're stock Yamaha, I have some ideas, but as you know thing evolve!

As soon as I get it home I'll post some pictures of the base bike.
Cheers Luke
The paint theme is taken from the 72 white and red design, the original is a paint job not decals, 70 through 72 were all white over candy on a silver base, paint jobs. The side cover white accent on the Duex bike looks a little big, to my mind a thinner stripe similar to the chrome chevrons on an early bike might look better.

Back