New build and builder or head first down the rabbit hole in Denver.

all7alive

XS650 Newb
Reaction score
After being in denver for a few months without any motorized bicycles I decided to find a project. While perusing on CL I found this 1980 xs650 and after about 2 weeks of bothering the owner I got ahold of it. I broke a rule of mine and went to look at/pick up the bike at night :doh: due to crap work schedule. So I had a few surprises in the morning. None were that bad and I spent the next day taking random parts off. I hadn't intended to take it down to the frame but I think it may be prudent given the condition. I would like to do a build similar to the classified moto xs. A very minimal cafe hopefully. The most complicated thing I would like to do is a fork swap, preferably for a dirt bike fork I could lower but I will see what I can find. The frame and engine are about the only things that I am planning on reusing as most of the other bits are shot. I pretty much jumped into/went off of the deep end but I am very exited to build this thing up. I am going to get the engine out and all the bits of there frame in the next day or two and then try to figure out what to do next. Start ordering/scrounging I suppose.
I am newish to Denver so any advice on shops, fabricators, scrapyards or people I could mooch off of or trade beer for power tools I would be most appreciative.

Last edited:
web.jpg
web.jpg

welcome, it seems colorado is the hot spot for xs650's! is that engine cover chromed? it is soo shiny.
Steele's cycle salvage is a source for parts, but be prepared to pay full price if you go there. the classifieds section here is best for parts if you can wait for shipping.

While patience is not a virtue I have when waiting for parts I assumed I would be ordering most:D.
It is very shiny and unfortunately cracked about 5 inches along behind the kickstart. I assume its not salvageable but I haven't pulled it yet. I will probably avoid steele's if the prices are silly and stick to classifieds/CL/fleabay

Last edited:
Back