1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

New by electric question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koyuga, Feb 1, 2019.

1. koyuga

koyuga XS650 Enthusiast

What is the most basic wiring system to run an engine with.

Original charging system.
    Starter motor
    Battery

I have all of the above, guess I'm gonna need a combined reg rectifier.

Do I need an ignition unit??

As I said I'm a newby and i just wanna try my hand at getting an old wreck running.

Cheers

2. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I think this should work for you. No need to do combined and you can build a DIY regulator / rectifier for cheap. Look it up using a VR115 regulator and 3 phase rectifier.

chopper wiring.PNG

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Stardust83 and gggGary like this.
  3. koyuga

koyuga XS650 Enthusiast

Many thx

gggGary likes this.
  4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The regulator you need will depend on which version of stock charging system you have. On early systems up to '79, the regulator fed power to the outer brush. On the later '80-'83 systems, the regulator fed a ground to the outer brush. The Fiat regulator is the ground switching type for use on the later systems. For the early systems you need a power switching regulator. Many use the VR115 or one of it's equivalents.

You can use the later ground switching type regulator on an early system if you change some of the brush mounting screws to nylon and re-wire the brushes. If you're starting from scratch and have to buy a regulator anyway, I don't see the point to this. Just buy the correct type of regulator to begin with.

Stardust83 likes this.
  5. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Sorry 5t. I just updated my post. I know I know we just went thru all that stuff.....lol

6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, it is confusing, lol. But I think these charging systems are pretty easy to understand once you learn about them, and I love the fact that we can use low cost, dependable automotive regulators.

Superjet likes this.
  7. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

If you do buy a 70-79 points B type Combined Reg/Rect, then make sure the Unit has 2 Separate Connectors attached to the Combined Reg/Rect so it will connect to the 70-79 loom......Sellers often have the wrong models in the heading

chopper wiring - Copy Points model.jpg eurosport 1 copy.jpg 3b.jpg
    For some reason this thread opens on post #37..........NOTE; go back to post #33
    A good thread on the 70-79 Points model Regulator and rectifier conversion to Automotive regulator and 3 Phase Rectifier........ http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-do-i-test-my-stock-alternator.53079/page-2#post-564584 ..... Post #33 Has all the information needed for this conversion

8. wildav

wildav XS650 Enthusiast

visual aid : came off my 79 sf. don't remember why I removed connectors IMG_2257.JPG

gggGary likes this.
  9. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

This is the 70-79 points model Combined Reg/Rect that MikesXS sells now
    WP_20150118_010_zpseed0d638.jpg~original 2.jpg

NOTE; That's an old Obsolete one mikesXS used to sell and the wire colours are completely different to the one he sells now.........
    MikesXS-70-79-SSRegRec 3a copy.jpg

10. wildav

wildav XS650 Enthusiast

right you are , I bought this one in 2006 or 7. I remember there was a little confusion installing because of the colors. A really amateur drawing showing connections to existing wiring came with it.

11. koyuga

koyuga XS650 Enthusiast

thx for all the replies. Cheers