new chain?

pahako

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I switched over today from a 17 to a 18 tooth front sprocket. I had the bike on the jack and was aligning the rear wheel and trying to get the chain tension close. As I would spin the rear tire I noticed there was more chain noise than normal and it seemed to vibrate more as I spun it. I also noticed that there seemed to be tighter areas and looser areas on the chain. Maybe I am being over cautious, but I never noticed any of this when I had the original sprocket on when it was on the stand and I would spin the tire. The chain is a standard 530 with between 3 and 4k miles on it. Took it around the neighbor hood for a test ride and it seemed to ride ok. Any thoughts?

Has the shift shaft guard been removed? If not, since a test run has happened, remove the cover and check the guard, it may need to be removed. The increase in sprocket diameter reduces the clearance between the chain and shaft guard. I always replace the chain WITH the sprockets. If not, the remaining worn out part(s) "help" to wear the new part(s) out prematurely. Finally, without 2 new sprockets and a new chain at the same time on there the chain will stretch faster needing more frequent adjustments.

Shift shaft guard is removed and there is clearance between chain and shaft. The sprockets and chain were replaced together around 3k miles ago. The 17 tooth sprocket I took off had no noticeable wear like the original one did I replaced, and the chain is still within specs for maximum stretch. (max stretch for a 530 chain is 12.75 inches between 21 pins)

It's been my experience that ALL chain's have a 'tight' spot. This is where you adjust for the 'slack' in the chain.
And yes also on that all those part's should be replaced together. Havin said that, as long as your rear sprocket is not worn to the point of sharp point's or wear groove's in it, it should be ok.

Back