New Clutch, New Problem

ken65

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the clutch pack on my xs1b. Its adjusted correctly i believe. Have ridden it , no clunking into 1st , changes gear well , no drag or slipping. The problem i have is while its in gear with the clutch in and idling it wont roll backwards unless its in neutral. It wont even roll back an inch, the front sprocket wont budge but is normal in all aspects if you go forward. Ive had the cover off a couple of times now and i assume i put the kick start assembly in correctly. Has anybody experienced this before or any thoughts on the matter? Thanks in advance, ken

Yeah i was sort of thinking that, ive already taken the cover off when the kick starter wasnt on right the 1st time. I will drain the oil out and have another look. cheers

That is normal operation, there is just enough drag in a multi plate wet clutch to prevent you from moving the bike backwards when in gear running with the clutch in. No worries, just find neutral to roll the bike backwards. After a bit you learn the drill, let the clutch out slightly to squeeze the oil out from between the plates, pull in clutch and lightly stab at the shift lever to find neutral. It all takes less than a second to do and is just part of normal old bike technique.

Thanks for replying Gary. It just seemed strange to me as ive never experienced this before. The new clutch only has a couple of miles on it so i'll take it out a bit more and play it by ear, thanks again , ken

With mine in first gear, engine running, clutch pulled, I can back up fine.
Maybe you're not getting enuff clutch pushrod travel and plate separation.

hi 2 many. your right, im going to pull it apart again, it cant be right as it is, im sure the clutch is good, new plates, new push rod , balls in place , actuator in correct position, all gears are surprisingly smooth, neutral easy to find etc. cheers, ken

Back