New from Atlanta. 650 build thread

That isn't a weld break at all, so slugs wouldn't apply. That's a shear point in the tubing from too much stress caused by the already mentioned gusset. Poor design and application. Anyone with half a brain and a minimal understanding of scoots should have been able to deduce the major flaws in that set up.

Apparently the ugly welds are purely cosmetic MIG welds... laid over the original pretty TIG welds... :thumbsup: Friggin people are completely retarded...

I've never been properly taught to weld, but I would not ride a bike with that mess on it. I'm refering to the one on the Jockeyjournal forum. And Dumb!! on the gusset placement.

That bike from the JJ looks like shit. Look at the grind marks on the backbone and those scary globs of weld on the headtube. I wouldn't ride that if it was a bicycle!

Okokok back on subject.....

Just picked up some Harley wide glide 17x4.5 and a 21.

0d0e97f4.jpg

Ok been too cold to do any work.I order some bearings for the wheels. Still don't know what I'm going to do about getting them to fit.

Ha yeah Ive been too lazy to go out and actually look at them. I know the belt drive won't work at all. That damn pulley is huge!

i am hoping to get a hold of a xs650 soon waiting to hear back from the seller deffinitly like the route you are taking. what is your rake? and stretch? looks good keep up the good work

Im in the process of figuring out how I'm going to run the wheels. As of now I have ordered new custom bearings. I'll post pics when that and my new tank arrives.

Ya I am running Harley rims on mine with th tc bros springer kit so I just have to mod the hardtail that said a small bead of weld on it and then file it works great for making up the 1/32 nd difference between the Harley 3/4 inch and th standard 20mm Yamaha axel

Not to jack this post but I'm sure this would be beneficial to him as well. Anyone who have used rear Harley rim on an xs 650 build how and what sprocket did you use?

Will that fit the yammy chain. Sorry again for jacking your thread just had a lot of the same idea's so figured I would ask

I'll figure it all out and post it. I actually have a spare Harley rim with the rotor still on it if anyone wants to buyone. 80 bucks

Hey drummer, I ran a harley wheel on my first xs build. Buy a blank sprocket for your chain size, at 30, 32, 0r 34 tooth. You can match up the bolt holes from your harley sprocket, and transfer punch them and drill. You have to center drill the holes before you drill them to size, or they'll walk. The next option is how I did it. Figure out the bolt circle dimension, and do it on a mill. If you take both sprockets to a machine shop, they can figure all that out, and put the holes where you need them.

Back