New from PA with a project

Tim H

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up 2 xs's a while back, a 72 someone customized with a title, a running 78 that I was originally told was an 82 without a title, 77 titled frame with engine, and a pile of extra parts.

I wanted to build a kind of bobber out of the 78 on the 77's title but the more I looked at the 72 the more I wanted to hard tail it. I figure I can't screw it up worse than it already is. I borrowed my neighbor's portaband and got to chopping.

The 72 as I picked it up.
IMG00070-20101004-2004.jpg

IMG00069-20101004-2003.jpg

After I was done with the cutting (notice my great work area)
IMG00001-20101024-2051.jpg

Going to be a long slow process but when I get the time to touch it I'm sure I'll update with pictures.

Once I got it that far my neighbor commented on the damaged right fork tube. While we were looking at it we realized the tubes and lowers are different on the bike. the axle also looks too long with a big ass nut used as a spacer under the castle.

He offered me a set of forks from an 80 kawasaki 750 LTD he has apart intending on building a chopper.
This is where my first question comes up, he gave me a pile of parts but just told me to pay him what I felt it's worth.
He gave me the full front end, both mag rims with disks, front brake setup from master to dual calipers, rear brake setup from peddle to caliper, and a drag bar.

Anyone want to give me some suggestions on what this pile is worth?
IMG00004-20101028-2217.jpg

Last edited:
Well I can't say what the parts are worth, But on building a bike I would use the frames that have titles that match the frame numbers.
Building a bike then finding out you can't get a title for it would really suck.
Back to the parts. Will the Kawasaki trees fit to the 650 steering head? If they do with no more work then getting a set of tapered roller bearing kit, then it might be worth A $100 or so. Getting the rear wheel and dics brake set upinstalled may take a bit of work. Just putting a 650 dics brake where a drum was is a fair amount of work.

Last edited:
I ended up giving the guy $100 as he helps me out with tools etc and never accepts any money. The neck looks like it probably won't work without a swap but I need to do some measuring to be sure. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ripping the guy off, his friends seem to have a habit of doing that even when he tells them a price.

I'll measure the forks on my 78 and see if the trees could work from that without too much work. Otherwise I may be looking at swapping the neck from the 72.

The brakes won't be that bad as he gave me every related piece. I use Solidworks for work and his company uses it as well and has a waterjet. Any custom pieces we need cut will be easy and cheap. I'm going with a hardtail so I won't need to worry about mounting to the stock swingarm. I will need to worry about sprocket size and spacing though... still in the part gathering stage though for now.

just straight Prospect. Its a little town about 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh, maybe I should update that as no one probably knows where it is.

back from the dead.

A buddy of mine saw my collection sitting in the barn while we dug out parts for his car. He offered to buy one so he can build a bastard of some sort. Answering his questions got me back my motivation, and the cash will be turned into a Hugh's PMA conversion and a Pamco.

I ended up with a bunch of 3" square tubing 1/4" thick wall that was misordered at work, so I ordered a set of Frame Jig neck cones so we can throw a Jig together.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110795174868&category=10064&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

He also sent me a link for a place that has decently priced steel.
http://www.metalsdepot.com/
It gets alot cheaper if you order the longer lengths like 10' or 20' but the shipping is listed as freight and is expensive. If you call them up they'll chop it down and send it UPS for peanuts.

I already had the carbs stripped and bead blasted ready for the new floats and kits I bought for them. My plan is to get the engine cleaned up and running first, then build the jig, then build the frame.

Very good idea. Get the bike running and then modify it. Way too many build a bike that is all "done up", but doesn't run. Or runs poorly.
Good luck.

Interesting turn of events.
I originally bought 3 bikes, but only 2 titles.
As mentioned above I sold one titled frame and motor. Well that buyer had a buddy that was interested in the untitled bike. It was the only complete running bike in the lot. While showing it I noticed how good of shape it was in, and it was inspected last in pa.

After a lowball offer I decided to look into the title situation.

DL-135 cost 5 for the notary and 5 for the state. Got me title name and address.

Google got me all the people in the area with that name.

Couple phone calls got me a nice gentleman that will gladly request a duplicate title form MV-38O for 22.50 and sign it over to me.

He said the bike always ran great but would blow a fuse if you tried to use the horn or turn signals etc. Easy fix.

Looks like I almost missed out on a simple solution for a clean rider while I build my project at a snails pace.

What a great day :)

Welcome to the club dog. I'm building a bike for your boy Evan up there in Ol prospect pa.
Funny...I'm pretty sure I ended up with that grey mustang tank you have pictured...

Keep choppin...
Zak

The DL-135, is that a title search? Supply the VIN and they search who the last owner was?
Might try that on my 82.
Leo

Zak, I did get rid of that silver tank, but I don't think I know anyone named Evan?

It is the form for a title search in PA, the notary had me file it under option 7: For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles.

She said that is about the only option they will release information to a private individual.

And selecting Basic Information gets you name, address, title no, vehicle info, lein info, title branding info... more than you need for $5.

My plan was to try to contact the person and talk them into a transfer. And if they wouldn't I would look into filing a motion in the local court. (costs more cash)

I was following advice from a few links, the first one below I had saved, second one just popped up on a search but I think it was decent too.

http://scoot.net/faq/Register_a_barn_find#Pennsylvania
http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/prose/lib/prose/packets/involvehicletrans.pdf

Overall it was really easy and fast. If your bike has a PA inspection sticker within the last 10 years odds are it will still be in the database. I wanted to know before I went through the trouble of filling out the form, so I called the 800 number and asked how much my fee would be (they list $5 fee for each title record). Since I was only getting basic info and not a history it was just $5, but more importantly it confirmed that the vin was titled in PA and still in the database.

Tim, I went to the first link you posted, it tells how to in many states. It has NY. I'll look into it more in the next few days.
Leo

Back