Post a Photo of your Dog

We drive up to go hiking and boating. There's a beautiful free launch ramp and new floating dock at Lake Lillenonah. Here's the launch ramp. It's a destination for bikers. I saw this guy launching his Chriscraft. He told me the windshield was from a Messerschmidt. I have no way of knowing, but the chrome work (bright work, as boaters call it) was impeccable.
Bookmarking this for my next ride, which will have to wait until I figure out my right side crank issue. Best motor boat design in history.

Today's Barn Pics...This is a working tobacco farm..all the other out buildings are modern..but this bulk curing/drying barn is at least 100 yrs old..
20200612_123630.jpg

20200612_123415.jpg

Man I was so close! This morning I went riding out on some very rural, very poor condition roads out in the desert foothills. After about 45 minutes I spotted it, a picture perfect old barn! :geek: It looked like this,
7F530173-EC7A-4D43-901C-9FD430D13840.jpeg

Old grey unpainted boards, some of them missing, tin roof that was more rust than galvanized. I spotted it from about a half mile away, I could see the roof and the top of the barn sticking up above a stand of trees. I tried to get closer and then I ran into the barbed wire fence and the gate. It was on private land way back from the road and surrounded by trees that obscured the view. I was so disappointed, old barns like that are exceedingly rare in the desert. I have a feeling this will be my white whale. Oh well, I gave it a shot.
A15BBC5D-BFAB-4E6F-AAF3-33E1CF7AD9A7.jpeg

Man I was so close! This morning I went riding out on some very rural, very poor condition roads out in the desert foothills. After about 45 minutes I spotted it, a picture perfect old barn! :geek: It looked like this,
View attachment 169685

Old grey unpainted boards, some of them missing, tin roof that was more rust than galvanized. I spotted it from about a half mile away, I could see the roof and the top of the barn sticking up above a stand of trees. I tried to get closer and then I ran into the barbed wire fence and the gate. It was on private land way back from the road and surrounded by trees that obscured the view. I was so disappointed, old barns like that are exceedingly rare in the desert. I have a feeling this will be my white whale. Oh well, I gave it a shot.
View attachment 169686
Keep tryin', Bob !
We'll stay tuned for your adventures and discoveries !

upload_2020-6-13_16-28-14.jpeg

I was so disappointed, old barns like that are exceedingly rare in the desert. I have a feeling this will be my white whale. Oh well, I gave it a shot.

Guess they never built many 'cause where would you find the feed for a cow in desert?

Shame is about a 1/4 mile from my house on the property we rented from the company I worked for was a good sized barn about the size of the one in my second picture. All hand hewed beam about a third of the barn was set up with stanchions for cows and right above it was the hay loft the other two thirds were a good two stories tall wide open with wood floor. The only bad part of the barn was the ceder shakes on the roof. After we built the house I live in now I guess in part to cut back the assessment for the land the company called in the local fire department and had it burned down!

If I had known that they were going to torch the thing I would have went in there with a chain saw and cut at least some of those beams out.

I was back touring the Catskill mountains yesterday on the '82.
Partly cloudy and 70's is what I refer to as Heavenly.

I have had a number of adventures in the small town of Durham over the years; here is a tidbit of local history:

The establishment of the first settlement in Durham is credited to three men, Lucas DeWitt, John Plank, and Hendrick Plank. These pioneers established homes at what was then called DeWittsburg, now Oak Hill. The American Revolution forced the pioneers to temporarily abandon their homes until the end of the war. Hendrick Plank was abducted by the Native Americans and removed to Canada, where he died in captivity. The two remaining pioneers and Hendrick's widow, who remarried to Leonard Patrie, all returned by about 1782 to reestablish their homes. DeWitt brought with him a small hand mill for grinding grain and was in one respect the first miller in the town as well as being a farmer.

...and a barn I came across:

zzzzzzzxx5.jpg

zzzzzzzxx4.jpg

I like the over-hanging roof which covers what was probably (?) the hayloft entrance for bales.

Tried to find a specific name for this little roof in the reference books in my personal library, but couldn't find one.
The two books on the right
zzzzzzzzxx8.jpg

were inherited from my Dad, who was intrigued with barns. In the 1960's, he got involved with barn preservation, painting large geometric designs on them (about 30 in New York State) in hopes that the farmers would maintain their buildings even more.

zzzzzzzzzxx9.jpg

Then off to the hamlet of Conesville, southwest of Windham. I've fallen in love with this place; I guess you could call me a Conehead :)

zzzzzzxx3.gif

On route 990V, there is this cool decorated barn on the edge of a dangerous 55mph curve;
I took my life in my hands as I got down on the tarmac to take this shot, just as a large truck came around the turn.....

zzzzzzxx1.jpg

Welcome to Conesville. :D

zzzzzzxx2.jpg

Last edited:

I have had a number of adventures in the small town of Durham over the years; here is a tidbit of local history:

The establishment of the first settlement in Durham is credited to three men, Lucas DeWitt, John Plank, and Hendrick Plank. These pioneers established homes at what was then called DeWittsburg, now Oak Hill. The American Revolution forced the pioneers to temporarily abandon their homes until the end of the war. Hendrick Plank was abducted by the Native Americans and removed to Canada, where he died in captivity. The two remaining pioneers and Hendrick's widow, who remarried to Leonard Patrie, all returned by about 1782 to reestablish their homes. DeWitt brought with him a small hand mill for grinding grain and was in one respect the first miller in the town as well as being a farmer.

View attachment 169736

View attachment 169737

I like the over-hanging roof which covers what was probably (?) the hayloft entrance for bales.

Tried to find a specific name for this little roof in the reference books in my personal library, but couldn't find one.
View attachment 169747

were inherited from my Dad, who was intrigued with barns. In the 1960's, he got involved with barn preservation, painting large geometric designs on them (about 30 in New York State) in hopes that the farmers would maintain their buildings even more.

View attachment 169742

Then off to the hamlet of Conesville, southwest of Windham. I've fallen in love with this place; I guess you could call me a Conehead :)

View attachment 169743

On route 990V, there is this cool decorated barn on the edge of a dangerous 55mph curve;
I took my life in my hands as I got down on the tarmac to take this shot, just as a large truck came around the turn.....

View attachment 169744

View attachment 169745
Very COOL!

View attachment 169736

View attachment 169737

View attachment 169747

View attachment 169742

View attachment 169743

View attachment 169744

View attachment 169745

Excellent travelogue Jeff! Those photos look like perfect postcards, well worth the risk of getting flattened by a truck! Haha! Always thinking of us. :cool: Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

I would move to that part of New York in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the politics.
We don't talk about politics here at this forum.

This particular thread is about a game.
Its supposed to be fun.

You are very welcome to get yourself an XS650 and join in.

Last edited:
There's a New England Connected farmhouse about half a mile from here. My Father-in-law's second marriage was to the gal that owned it. It was solid but badly in need of maintenance which it never got while he was there.

5-6 years ago, it was bought by someone with REALLY deep pockets and they started at the rearmost barn and worked their way forward jacking, straightening, putting new foundations under it, replacing rotted sills, new roofs, new siding - the whole schmear. The inside is all done or nearly so, just the very front of the house yet to do. Also did a crapload of landscaping, clearing, ditching and filling. Place looks like a country club now. I'll have to get a picture of it.

View attachment 169736

View attachment 169737

View attachment 169747

View attachment 169742

View attachment 169743

View attachment 169744

View attachment 169745
Every year, except this one, we go to the Thurman town wide garage sale, in the Adirondacks. One year, I picked up the pulley and hay grabber that hangs from a rope on a hook or eye below that overhang on the loft door. The pulley looks like it has a face and the hay bale grabber looks like big squarish ice tongs. I have it in the yard and when I get a chance, I'll post the pix. This one's near Lake Champlain.

Attachments

• Lake George Trip, Adk Museum, ride on St Sacrement 396.jpg
    Lake George Trip, Adk Museum, ride on St Sacrement 396.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Every year, except this one, we go to the Thurman town wide garage sale, in the Adirondacks. One year, I picked up the pulley and hay grabber that hangs from a rope on a hook or eye below that overhang on the loft door. The pulley looks like it has a face and the hay bale grabber looks like big squarish ice tongs. I have it in the yard and when I get a chance, I'll post the pix. This one's near Lake Champlain.

That hay grabber sounds like the one I managed to salvage out of the old barn up the road where we rented from the company. I'll have to dig it out and maybe post a picture. Have thought about going up to the old barn site and see if I could salvage a section of the track that was attached to the ridge beam for the hay grabber trolley to run on. Probably got all kinds of warped when they burned the old barn down. Wish I had thought of that a few weeks ago before the weeds got going this spring!

Just thought of something I do have right in the basement what I would call a beam grabber :
Beam grabber.JPG

It is actually upside down in the picture the hook at the top would be on the bottom in use and the harder you pull down in it the deeper the spikes would go in to the beam.
Just for kicks I searched online and there is one just like it they are asking $200.00!

Last edited:
Back