Post a Photo of your Dog

Nice photos! The bike looks great too! Have you ever been inside that hotel?

Hi @Mailman, the wiki page says it is a hotel but it didn't look very "open" so I asked someone in the garden what is was and if it was OK to take photos. They said apartments and open open for short term holiday lets.

This website says bed and breakfast. http://www.hotel-exmouth.co.uk/ has some photos of the rooms.

Edit: Just realised why I was told what I was told. Under Corona virus restrictions a hotel ought not be open. Perhaps they are open in some modified form which meets the regulations.

Last edited:
Today I finally (finally !!) got my '75 on the road for this season, after sorting out some performance issues.
Found a freshly-painted old barn on the edge of the Onondaga Indian Reservation, aka The Onondaga Nation.

zzyy22.jpg

zzyy33.jpg

The Onondaga people are one of the original five constituent nations of the Iroquois Confederacy in northeast North America. Their traditional homeland is in and around present-day Onondaga County, New York, south of Lake Ontario.

onondaga-nation-map.png
3057314a47523eb89f--american-food-american-history.jpg

When I was a kid in the 50's, my Dad took us kids to Box Lacrosse games on the reservation, which was an intensely aggressive venue for the sport, played within plywood walls all around the grass field.

Onondaga_trans_world_sport.jpg

Today, there is a 6 million dollar field on "The Res". :
upload_2020-6-24_21-23-36.jpeg
upload_2020-6-24_21-24-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-24_21-23-36.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-24_21-23-36.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 264
  • onondaga-nation-map.png
    onondaga-nation-map.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 3
Box lacrosse - now THAT is a tough sport.
My Dad used to say to us, "Boys, that's not paint on those walls inside. That's blood."

The New York State tribes would come play against each other, and there wasn't a lot of refereeing. . At 7 years old, it looked to me like pure violence.

My Dad used to say to us, "Boys, that's not paint on those walls inside. That's blood."

The New York State tribes would come play against each other, and there wasn't a lot of refereeing. . At 7 years old, it looked to me like pure violence.

Yup - you get a bunch of big strong boys, beer them up a bit, arm them with a club and yell the following at them:
  1. if anyone who isn't dressed like you has the ball - take it away from them and make sure they can't, or don't want to - get it again
  2. if anyone who isn't dressed like you gets in your way - slug them with your stick
  3. get the ball in those other people's net
  4. thats it.

On today's ride with my buddy Gary it was his pick for the Barn Photo, and he chose this nicely maintained structure on Pleasant Valley road in Marcellus.
We found it interesting that it has working windows in the silo, a satellite TV dish, and screens on the barn windows.

Someone is actually living there??

zzxxtt555.jpg

Looks like someone has done some work there since August 2019. The picture below is dated per Google street view for that time and as of you picture the fence is gone and they change the right of the three windows in the silo!View attachment 170651
Ha! I'm intrigued, Ken.
There is an attached house, but this barn seems to be lived in.
During the winter of 2018-2019, I expressed interest in a late '60s Chevy for sale at this residence, but the owner didn't call me back.

I'm going to investigate further......:)

I was back in the Catskill Mountains today, way way out in rural farm territory where there are no painted lines
and you have to watch out for chickens in the road. About 8 miles west of Blenheim, where Kowalski had his garage.

Blenheim 006.5smaller.jpg

Westkill Road
, which runs from Rt. 10 to Rt. 30.

Barn2.png

The "kill" in so many of the names of places in this area means "creek".
Catskill = Cat's Creek

I was meandering along at 35mph, but suddenly spied some unexpected, angry storm clouds approaching from the west.
Headed away from my destination, I had to speed up to 55 on this rough, undulating, and twisty road to outrun the coming rain.

In the midst of all this, an Old Barn flashed by me on my left, tattered and weathered just the way I like them.
I thought, "it will only take about 2 minutes. Whats a little rain, anyway?"
Quick U-turn.

I stepped back to take the photo as far as I could without entering into a mudhole.
I love the hanger hardware on the barn doors.

Barn.jpg

The "kill" in so many of the names of places in this area means "creek".
Catskill = Cat's Creek

And if I recall correctly the "Cats" part was original spelled with a "K". Did a search and found that there were some variations on the spelling such as "Kaatskill and Kaaterskill"

S
pellings can get a bit confused over time! Just finished reading a book on history of the Finger Lakes area published in 1929 and stumbled on one somewhat funny error made many years ago. There is a village near here called "Trumansburg" but that was some what of a typo. See to perpetuate the memory of the founder Mr Treman someone made an error a substituted a U for the E when making out the commission as the first Postmaster!

I was out riding today, 65 miles from home, just rambling around through farmland and I spotted this. The fence looks like it had been down for decades and the faded remains of a no trespassing sign, but when has that ever stopped me? :cool: I had to do a little off roading to get back to it.
77BEA2C1-1619-44C6-9A57-0E58365EE1C6.jpeg

D4BBBBDC-8BD8-475A-BD4B-64821F7A933E.jpeg
D80FA2F5-2426-4498-B38D-B2532D582A9C.jpeg
A41BABAA-E015-49B5-BB40-AFDCE7C59C90.jpeg
24871105-BEAE-4B79-BA7B-2672FBB3A043.jpeg

It definately was not a house, not nearly as big as a traditional mid west classic barn. It had a big bay on the front and possibly some loft space. Kind of a barn...maybe a small one? Judges, what say ye?
BF139CFD-E337-4192-9831-17E4BB370900.jpeg

Back