New Guy Buying Advice

obiseirawan

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I wanted to take a second to say hello and thank you all for posting so much useful information. I haven't bought an XS yet, but after many hours of research I am leaning heavily toward it. I have rebuilt one bike before, an '81 CB900C, but I'm no pro. I just finished that project but I got through it by the skin of my teeth.

The reason I'm writing is because I need some buying advice. I have been watching craigslist every day, waiting for deals to pop out and I am wondering if I have found one. I found a guy who is offering 9 XS650s plus 5 engines. None of them will turn over and he isn't even really sure what year they are. They have been sitting in a barn for the last 10 years or something. He is selling everything for 1500 dollars. He doesn't know exactly what years all of them are. He thinks they range from 72 to 80. What do you all think? Should I consider picking up the heap in the hopes that I can piece together a bike with all the parts or should I wait for something else?

What do you guys look for when you are starting a new project/rebuild? Complete running bike or pieces?

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can give.

any titles? if none of them turn over your more than likely rebuilding the motor/motors not sure what you would be able to sell the other stuff for.

are you looking to restore or build a custom? that would make a difference in my opinion.

Titles are a very key part of this equation. But 9 xs's for 1500 is a very good deal, turning over or not.

I agree. You may find that if they are "barn fresh" you might be able to scavenge enough off of those, title or not, to pay for a decent titled machine. Provided you have another bar to put them in! Or, get them all, cherry pick what you want, and sell the rest, minus a coupe of ecent motors, sets of wheels, exc. to the bone yard.
OR Buy them all, cherry pick it for yourself, and then post what ya got left up here with picks and have a yard sale. I'd have to go look at least at that price. Sounds like an opportunity knocking, if ya got the time.

i called a couple weeks ago when it first came up on craigslist. the guy i talked to was the dad and he was selling for his son. i asked about a title and he said one of them does. i asked how much for the titled frame and a couple extra engines and was told $500 but i'm sure he would move a little bit. he said it was running about 8 years ago. was also told that all engines are 'stuck'.

i don't think it's a steal by just looking at the ad and pics. but unfortunately i don't live close enough to go check them out.

If you have the $1500.00, and a place to keep them, it would be nuts to pass that up. If I found a deal like that here in Ca, I'd find the money and make a place to keep them. That is one smoking deal, titles or not!
DLD1

Back