New guy from Bama

little_ryle_13

XS650 Member
Reaction score
How's it going. New guy here just picked up my first XS today from a guy in Birmingham off Craigslist. It's a 78, the guy hard tailed it (one-off), 21" spool in the front, Pamco Ignition, and a couple other odds and ends you can get from the photo. I was able to ride it around for about three hours yesterday until a ran into a problem. It suddenly died on me and would crank and idle but would die as soon as given gas. I been searching and believe it to be the carbs need a little cleaning and definately inline fuel filters. If I can get it running again today I'll take some more photos.

374032_650132862724_535921904_n.jpg

Hey, welcome - nice bike, very sleek!
As fo rthe running problem - is there petrol in the tank? is the petrol getting to the carbs? If so pop them of and clean out, set float levels etc. there is an excellent carb guide in the Tech Section

Thanks!
Yes there is fuel in the tank and it is getting to the carbs. I have seen the tech guide you are referring to very informative. I will be doing all the ins and outs trying to resolve the issue. It ran great when it ran just have to get it back to that point.

Good stuff - might be worth checking the electrics too. Are you getting a constant spark? Hows your battery (if applicable) load test it, when it dies, whip a plug out and see if you are getting spark.
Knackered plug leads and coils are a pain in the hoop!

There is now more photos in my gallery. I didn't get it running again I just took it to a shop Friday so they should get on it this week. I'm ready ride again though when they figure out the problem I'll post what it was.

Did you make it over to the Barber Vintage Festival? I was down there along with about 100 of my closest friends, hanging out at our good friend's place in Moody and of course we were at the Festival (had a setup there in the Ace Corner).

I did. I saw all the bikes in your corner very nice bikes back there. It was kind of secluded though we didn't see you guys til we were leaving and we stopped then saw all the other bikes through the tunnel area. It was the first time I been and I will definitely go next year and bring my bike.

Figured it out the advance rod had gotten bent somehow. It didnt have covers on it when I got it. So something may have gotten in there and caused it. But swapped it out runs like a champ.

That rod always seemed heavy duty, Im surprised it got bent, but glad you figured the problem out! Are you thinking about getting covers for ATU and Pamco to protect everything?

Man, I'm soooo impressed. that bike is a real inspiration. I don't know what you have in mind for changing that bike, but I have to say it looks fantastic in form/style as is. I can certainly see improving performance, maybe filling in the hardtail gap with a nice battery box & fake oil tank, and any color/paint changes you may like, but the stance and lines look great! Nice old school agressive low look.

Have great fun with it & can't wait to hear/see what you plan to change!

David from Nashville:thumbsup:

Back