New guy needs help: Charging issues and not sure what I've got.

Tilly74

Tilly74
Reaction score
Short version: 81 xs650 with non stock electronics and ignition. Not charging, and not sure what my bike has been put back together with over the years and need help identifying what I have so I can buy the correct replacement parts and wiring harness.

Long version of the story: Motorcycle enthusiast, bought an 81 xs650 earlier this year to ride and not work on because I currently have no garage. Test rode the bike which ran great and bought it for 900. Bought it from a mechanic who claimed it needed nothing and was ready to ride. I'm a self taught mechanic, and fairly knowledgeable about motorcycles and how to fix most problems. Paid more for a running bike since I don't have anything other than a parking lot to work on a bike in right now. Got home and got one 40 minute ride out of it before the battery died. Been trying to figure out the cheapest/easiest way to fix this so I can just ride the bike.

I've searched through and read about every article about charging problems and did my best to go through the charging diagnostic steps found online and my feeler gauge did not "slap" the case when I turned the ignition on. I haven't been able to make a jumper wire for the green wire to test the regulator rectifier because I'm keeping the bike in my girlfriend's friend's garage just to store the bike. Can't exactly hang out there and work on it. I have been sneaking over when they're out of town to try and figure it out. This time I took pictures. I'm hoping I can get some help figuring out exactly what I've got. It is apparent that the bike is not original, especially when it comes to the wiring. It's been butchered. I'd love to re-wire the bike, I just want to make sure I'm buying the right things.

What I know: Model is an 81 which I'm pretty sure originally had a TCI. This bike has points. When the bike is running the battery voltage stays right around 12 volts, but only goes up by .2 or .3 when the bike is revved. Leads me to believe that it's the voltage regulator. When I found the voltage regulator, I found factory electrical connectors that were unplugged. So now I'm really not sure what I've got and what year parts/wiring harnesses to get. Also, I checked the brushes and they are within spec. If you can, please help identify how my bike is set up so I can begin re-wiring and replacing with the correct parts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Pictures:
1. The Bike
2. Left side of the bike
3. Right side
4. Butchered Wiring
5. Regulator/rectifier?
6. Mystery Plug? ( No Idea What This Goes To )
7. Other electrical things?
8. Coils
9. Another view of the regulator/rectifier?

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:
Tilly74;

The alternator rotor is a common failure as the bikes aged.

Remove the 2 brushes, and measure the resistance from one brass slip ring to the other slip ring. Use the lowest ohm scale you have. Normally they are 5 to 7 ohms.

Also measure from either slip ring to the rotor frame, using a high resistance scale.........that should be infinity.

Back