New Guy - Rochester New York

uebe

XS Goober
Reaction score
I joined the XS Forum this past summer and I'm finally getting to work on an '83 XS650. I've had British Bikes and other misc. bikes. Still have a 1948 125cc Harley from my youth. I could use some advice on the electrics. The XS is a "basket case" and many of the electrical items are missing. I've checked out some of the wiring diagrams on this site, but they only get me so far. Any advice on the most efficient way to complete the wiring harness is greatly appreciated.

Uebe

Look in the classifieds. Theres a guy selling a near complete harness and componates from an '82(which is near identical).

Just use one of the simplified diagrams and build one. I like this diagram. It starts with the basic points system, then you just swap the boxes to match what you have.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 149
Thanks XSLeo. I started out thinking I'd just restore the wiring to stock, but the original harness is just so ugly. Simple is good.

Did you replace your PMA?

XSLeo - I have a question about the simple wiring diagram you pointed out to me.....

There's a yellow wire in the upper R.H. corner coming off the safety relay labeled YELLOW ALTERNATOR. Elsewhere the diagram states to cap off the yellow wire.

Is the yellow wire not used at all?

Thanks

I'm in the Rochester,NY area also. About 20 miles south of Rochester. Do you plan on restoring or chopping? I completed my hardtail this spring and may be of some help.

Is that your hardtail shown in your avatar? Looks real good.

I'm going for a bobber style. I want to rip off the electrics and go simple, upsize the rear wheel, (16") and modify the frame to lower the seat but retain the rear shox. There's a bunch of other details I'll work on, but I want to address the major items first.

Do you run the stock Yamaha PMA, or have you replaced it?

Thanks for your offer of help. I'm sure I'll be asking questions !

The yellow wire ran from the stock alternator to the safety relay.
When the engine starts the alternator starts making power. Some of this power is sent to the safety relay on the yellow wire. It is used to trip the relay shutting off the electric starter and on the later models it turns on the headlight.
If you don't use the electric starter you can leave the safety relay off the bike and cap off the yellow wire from the alternator.
If you run the starter the safety relay prevents excess wear on the gears between the starter and engine. No matter how fast your thumb may be the safety relay is faster.
In the diagram you will see the yellow wire coming up out of the alternator and over from the safety relay. If you use the SR then just hook the two yellows together.
If you do the PMA conversion there is no yellow wire so you can't use the safety relay.
Leo

Back