New guy

stcin7

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to the site so i figured i'd say hello and show my bike. My names Alex, I'm 19, and I'm from Alton, Illinois. I drive a Mazdaspeed Protege and ride a 1979 Xs650 special. I've had atv's and dirtbikes most of my life but this is my first street bike. I bought the bike about 3 months ago and I plan on tearing it apart in the next few weeks and putting on a hardtail. My overall plan for the bike is a bobber.

6354660141_da82332e96.jpg

Also, I bought this rear wheel last week for $120. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it is and if I got a good price for the condition it's in.

6354664395_2f1e0d024f.jpg

stcin7;

Welcome to the site. That's a mighty fine looking 79:thumbsup:. A bike like that should be kept stock.............its a pristine example.

If you must have a hardtail, why not find an abandoned hardtail project, which are easily found. If not that way, find a beaten up XS650 for cutting and hacking on.

It's not as perfect as it looks in the pic. The guy before me repainted it and did a shitty job. But I'm only the second owner and it only has 12,300 original miles so that's a plus I guess. But I think a bobber is more my style.

Last edited:
That loks to be a 76 to 78 or so 18 inch wheel. Those spokes look a bit rusty, I think thats a bit high, but I'm cheap, and have a set of those wheels.
To use it on your 79 you will need to put the brake strut mount on the bottom of the swing arm and change everything on the brake from the pedal back to work a drum brake. Pivot shaft, brake rod spring, nut, the part the rods goes through that goes in the arm on the brake plate. The strut and the bolts for that.
Easy to do, lot easier than I did when I put a disc on my 75.
Leo

Will I be able to use parts from an xs that had a drum break or will I have to fabricate parts since I'm putting on a hardtail? I have some knowledge of welding and metal work from highschool but I don't know enough about bikes to be able to make the parts myself. I have family and friends that ride so I'm sure I can figure it out with the right helper, but when you say easy, how easy are you talking.

If you are going to build a hardtail putting a drum rear brake on it should easy.

you sound concerned you may have to build stuff, yet you want to build a bike....your hardtail will need to be welded, plus you will need to have seat brackets welded on, battery box of somekind, etc etc. There is some fabrication skills required to do a hardtail and all of the associated bits with it....its not just some magic kit that swaps on.

you sound concerned you may have to build stuff, yet you want to build a bike....your hardtail will need to be welded, plus you will need to have seat brackets welded on, battery box of somekind, etc etc. There is some fabrication skills required to do a hardtail and all of the associated bits with it....its not just some magic kit that swaps on.

Of corse it's not? I never claimed it was. I already stated I know how to weld and have some fabrication skill, I just don't have the knowledge of bike required to make the parts. But like I said, I have plenty of people to help. So how bout you try to be less of a downer.

with very limited fab skills you might want to go with bobber or fix her up and ride her as she is now

I'm deffinetly going the bobber route. I wanted to do cafe for a long time but I feel like the bike would look faster than it is. I'll most likely go with a hardtail that's already made, like the tc bros hardtail, so all I have to do is cut and weld.

Welcome stcin7,

I think your wheel is an earlier model, really neither here nor there.
If you are going to use it you may want to cut off the electric wire lug just above the the stabilizer bar. The switch is kinda ugly but can but gutted and brassed over to help the looks.

With the mileage you stated you will need to consider replacing front cam chain rail, the cam chain and cleaning up the extra casting metal in the exhaust ports.
Your assumption that these can be made to look faster than they are is correct.
It takes some effort to make these into "Do the ton" bikes. It can be done but does take some effort.

Here is some grandfatherly advice. Take the winter to learn the motor. Ride it next spring, summer and fall. THEN if you feel you want to deal with the maintenance go for your frame build. The prettiest frame in the world doesn't get it down the road.
An the ugliest rat out there that runs is more exciting to the opposite sex than a bike that sits in the barn.

Welcome stcin7,

I think your wheel is an earlier model, really neither here nor there.
If you are going to use it you may want to cut off the electric wire lug just above the the stabilizer bar. The switch is kinda ugly but can but gutted and brassed over to help the looks.

With the mileage you stated you will need to consider replacing front cam chain rail, the cam chain and cleaning up the extra casting metal in the exhaust ports.
Your assumption that these can be made to look faster than they are is correct.
It takes some effort to make these into "Do the ton" bikes. It can be done but does take some effort.

Here is some grandfatherly advice. Take the winter to learn the motor. Ride it next spring, summer and fall. THEN if you feel you want to deal with the maintenance go for your frame build. The prettiest frame in the world doesn't get it down the road.
An the ugliest rat out there that runs is more exciting to the opposite sex than a bike that sits in the barn.

Thanks for the good advice. I should probably take the time to learn riding on the street a little better before I start cutting it up but I got a little ahead of my self and ordered a bunch of parts already so we will see how it goes.
Also, when you said remove the wire lug are you reffering to the part under the actuating bar or the piece that sticks out on the drum? What is it used for and why don't I need it?

Back