New Guy

Tonka

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been lurking in the tech section for the past few weeks since I picked up a pair of XS650's and figured it was time to join. Ive read the carb guide several times and Im still re-reading certain parts as I rebuild the carbs and begin tuning.

Ive got a 1980 strutted bobber with a king pin tank, I just got it running last week since I had to make an electrical inclosure and wire everything up and Im waiting on a new float and some jets to arrive so I can try to dial in the carbs. I did ride it for about an hour before it started dumping gas out of the carb and it wasent bad but I had to leave the choke on to give it enough fuel. This one came along with the other and Ill probably sell it once its running right.

I then have a 1971 thats in an Amen Savior chopper frame, it has drag pipes wich I just put baffles in. I just put new points in and it will start but wont idle. It needs plugs, wires and a good carb cleaning, probably jets also. I also put drag bars on it so Ill have to get shorter cables. I havent riden this one yet but I cant wait to get it on the road.

Ill Load some better pictures as I get these things back together and out of the garage.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 231
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 197
Well, the 1980 I have might not be a 1980 afterall. I ordered a float and jets for it and niether fits. I printed out the vin identifier and ill hopefully figure this out when I get home. The title says its a 1980 so I may have some mismatched paperwork. The float mounts to high so that it would be stuck open and the large style jets are no were near fitting were they go. I guess it could be a 38 carb on a 34 motor? Anyway, Im just gona try to soilder the brass float I have and if that doesent work ill take the carb off of my 71 (wich needs cleaned anyway) and see if that float fits. :wtf:

Hey Tonka. welcome to the site.
show us pix of those carbs. so we can tell u what u have
we luv pix.
it's not uncommon to have mix and match parts

On the carbs, is the top cover chromed steel or cast alloy? The chrome steel is a BS 34 carb, The alloy tops are BS38.
If BS38 use this to help ID them. www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm
Some of the words are not English, it was translated from Dutch to German then English. Some words are still Dutch.
Even so it tells the difference years and how to tell them apart pretty well.
Leo

On the carbs, is the top cover chromed steel or cast alloy? The chrome steel is a BS 34 carb, The alloy tops are BS38.
If BS38 use this to help ID them. www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm
Some of the words are not English, it was translated from Dutch to German then English. Some words are still Dutch.
Even so it tells the difference years and how to tell them apart pretty well.
Leo

I checked the vin last night and I think its a 77 motor. It fell in the 77-78 range and it was a lower number in the range so im assuming 77 so at least now I know I have the 38 carbs and the correct float is in the mail. I tried soidering the old float, it looked good but a water test prooved otherwise. I need to find the vin on the frame now to see if it matches the title otherwise im going to have to either stamp the frame or get a new title. I couldent find one on the tubes or neck though. Anyway I got the high low switch to work last night and I can pull carb parts from my 71 when I have it open to clean this weekend so the 80/77 should be on the road this weekend. If anybody needs 140 mains for an 80-84 in de drop by because I cant use them. :D O and Leo the are the alloy tops on the carbs.

On the chart the 77-78 is the build year. As in August 77 to July of 78. So any bike built in that year is a 78. A 77 would be 76-77 build year.
The engine year is one thing, the year of the carbs can be quite another. Carbs can swap around easy, I have run A 72-73 set , a 76-77 set and now have a set of 82 BS34 carbs one my 75.
You need to id the carb year. Then use the carb year for tuning specs, not the engine or bikes year.
Leo

On the chart the 77-78 is the build year. As in August 77 to July of 78. So any bike built in that year is a 78. A 77 would be 76-77 build year.
The engine year is one thing, the year of the carbs can be quite another. Carbs can swap around easy, I have run A 72-73 set , a 76-77 set and now have a set of 82 BS34 carbs one my 75.
You need to id the carb year. Then use the carb year for tuning specs, not the engine or bikes year.
Leo

In that case its a 78. I spoke with the previous owner and he said the bike was completly stock when he got his hands on it and he did nothing to the carb or engine so aside from the exhaust baffles being gone I should be dealing with a 78 bs 38 carb with stock jets but ill try and verify that. Anyway I got the new brass float and buttoned her up. Its back to where it was before, it'll run if the mix screws are turned way out and the choke is on so Im guessing 2-3 sizes up on main jet (no baffles and pod filters) and ill go from there. I really just want to get this one running smooth and sold, O and the engine matches the frame wich means I need to get it titled because the title I have is for somthing else.

As for the chopper, I put in new points, baffles and plugs. It still wont idle but does have good spark now and the previous owner said he had set the timing for the old worn points (wich were worn on one side) so timing probably needs adjusted plus Im thinking smaller main jets since the pipes are baffled now along with a carb cleaning since it was previously run with no filters. This one I may take by my local shop if its still not running after that so I can get it on the road sooner than later and get some riding in this season. If there is anyone in northern DE that feels like taking a look at it let me know.

Then there is the matter of the third bike wich I havent even picked up yet. Its bone stock and I believe its a 73. Anyway, im going to pick that one up in a few weeks and that will be my winter project. Im thinking of doing a cafe build wich Ive never done so that should be fun.

Hey Tonka---I would say your plate is full, good luck with your projects---tim

Hey Tonka---I would say your plate is full, good luck with your projects---tim

Thanks Tim! Plate is definiatly full. Ive also got a 1980 Harley Ironhead Chopper that Im attempting to have back on the road for next summer as well as my 98 Jeep Wrangler Rock Crawler wich has been an ongoing project for the past 4 years and also happens to be my daily driver wich is teetering on barely street legal due to how modified it is. I start going nuts if I dont have a project in the garage though so the XS's are currently keeping me sane. :thumbsup:

I got the chopper running today. A few adjustments to the timing plate and mix screws and she started right up. Rode her about a mile down the road, stopped at a light and she puttered out. Couldent get her started for the life of me. Looked as though one of the points moved a bit and I don't think it was getting spark, after a mile push home I decided they are both going to the local shop for a tune up. The guy that owns Road Rage cycles in Wilmington apparently is good with xs650's and he works on a lot of them so they will be picking up both bikes when I get back from vacation next week. I figure Ive made some good progress but its been a month and Its time to get them on the road. Plus Im gonna pick the third one up soon so I need to unload the bobber for space and parts money.

I would bet that the bike is not charging the battery, a common problem. It's good that the guy you are taking them to has XS650 experience---Get em done summer will be over soon---tim

I don't think it's the charging system. I had it on a battery tender and dident have it on for more than 20 minutes. I think i still have the timing set wrong. I was glad to hear about this shop though. No kidding on summer bein over soon. That's why I'm biting the bullet and payin a professional. I need to get some riding in!!:thumbsup:

I havent gotten the bikes back yet :( hopefully soon as I would love to shoot down to the oc md bike weekend coming up. Otherwise, Ill post this over in the build thread but Ive picked up another xs 650. This one is bone stock and I believe its a 75 but I havent checked the vin yet (I got it for free so I wasent all that worried about it). Anyway this wil be a cafe racer build since Ive already got two choppers and a bobber. I also picked up a Dandy Hauler off of ebay for $90. These things get alot of bad press but I for one think its great for someone like me that only needs it occasionally. Plus Uhaul wont rent trailers to open top vehicles. I used a drop hitch and not only put 5 wratchet straps from the bike to the hauler but also 2 from the hauler to the d- rings on my bumper. I also took the chain off of the bike. Otherwise I drove 3 hours with it and it was great! I think people that have had issues with these might not have gone overboard securing the hauler and the bike, any play will cause a massive amount of lean in the bike around turns. Here is the bike as I got it and after I stripped some of the junk off.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Tonka. I like the big red beast you have there.

Stopping during a ride is a bummer, but you will get the hang of what the bike needs - pre-ride checks of all connections because there is a good deal of vibration.

What jets and needle setting are you BS38s now on?

Anlaf

Thanks! Im not even sure what size jets and needles. When I seemed to be moving backwards with the tuning I took them both over to a local shop that works on these. So far he told me the timing was way off and the gap was of on one of the points (that may have been vibration related) Anyway I picked up a third bike and started a cafe racer build so I figured since tuning is not my strong suit I would pass that along so I have time for my build. Ive got another 78 xs 650. So far Ive sanded and dished the tank, I need to get the holes from the emblem bracket welded up. Ive got clubman bars on it, I broke it down sanded and painted the frame. I cut the front fender and Ive got a seat pan all cut with a nice cafe look to it but its not bolted together as of yet (I dont weld) I made it out of sheet metal and a 70's motorcycle helmet I got at a yard sale for $5. After that Ive got to replace the left hand controls and since it dident have a key I got an aftermarket ignition Im going to mount somewhere else so that needs wired as well.

I often suggest you get the bike running and riding right before you start modifying it. You appear to be some one who does just the opposite.
If you can't get the bike to run why modify it.
Leo

Back