New Handlebars - Electrical Problem

fruhstuck

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, so my bike look like a bit of a mess right now but I decided to attach the picture regardless so you can see what stage it is in. I've got what I call a "tester" coat of paint on the tank and plastics, with a permanent coat to come later. I've got a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with:

First, my handlebars mounted, but not at my ideal angle. However, if I rotate them to the right angle... it cannot be done, because the brake line and top of the triple-tree have to occupy the same space. I believe it is possible to simply rotate the outlet of this cable off of the master cylinder, but just wanted to check before I did so: can this be done or is it impossible?

Second, is it possible to somehow raise the handlebar mounts? I don't wanna be buying anything over $40 for this, but if all it involves is a few washers I'd love to know! This would help solve the above problem even further.

Third, I originally had a grounding issue whereby I couldn't start the bike. I was an idiot and had forgotten that painted handlebars need to have some paint scraped off to make ground (I have an '81, btw). So I did that, and got the bike to start and run easily. While I was at it, I lubed up my clutch cable, and I have to say, that made a GIANT difference! I feel like an idiot for not doing that earlier... But my question is, why aren't my blinkers working? I scraped some paint on the left hand side, and have full control of the headlamp and horn (although I read this is independent), but cannot seem to get my dang blinkers working! I'm not entirely sure I made a solid ground connection, so my question here is the importance of establishing a ground connection. Do I need ground in order for the blinkers to work? Just want to know before I go sand away most of my handlebar trying to figure it out...

Fourth, any suggestions for grips? Dunno if you can tell from the picture, but I'm missing a left-side grip. The previous owner basically melted that grip onto the handlebar... :doh: So I had to cut it off. As much as I like the "rugged" look I get from having no left-side grip my palm is beginning to bruise from all the extra strain. I was basically going to go walk into the motorcycle store and grab a pair of cheap grips and change both- anything I should know?

Fifth... as a way of saying thanks, here's another video I filmed the other day. This time I mounted it to the tail of a CBR, rearward facing, so you get to see a lot of me on the XS. (Don't worry, that silly blue helmet is only what I'm using till my bike is "complete".)

Attachments

• 05112010.jpg
    05112010.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 125
I think one of your solder joints came loose in the left hand control and that is why the blinkers are not working. That was my problem.

Thanks! I'll give that a look after class today. You could very well be right... although it'd be particularly annoying since I don't have my soldering gun here anymore... :banghead: Which solder joint(s) went out for you? Were they specifically on the blinker-actuater contacts or the ground contacts or...?

Goodnews: I have a perfectly sound ground-connection.
Badnews: Didn't solve anything.

Horn works, headlight controls work, starter works, kill switch works, but no blinkers. Wasn't any problem before I installed the new bars. What are the chances that I've got to replace my flasher unit? Is there a way to test this without a voltmeter?

You may have pinched a wire when you remounted your switch housing.
Yes you can test with a 12 volt test light. Or even a 12 volt bulb and socket with long wires. Start at the flasher and work toward the lights.

Thanks XSLeo! That actually sounds pretty likely... I might've stressed the cables a bit too much, especially with the test-fit, then hanging, then test again... etc. Too bad I don't have the tools are ability to replace any wiring where I am now, but within a few weeks I will! Just gotta ride safe till then.

Back