New here - saying hello + questions

VooDooMan

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Good day all,

First post here, Looking to get in touch with some XS650 lovers.
I currently don't own a bike but I am looking at a 1978 XS650 for sale, I am located in the west coast of Canada.
I plan to mod the bike with a hard tail, A clean no mickey mouse conversion.

Looking to get in touch with others who have done what I have, I will have plenty of questions and ask for suggestions or advice.....So any one who can help please do.

What would a 78 XS650 be wroth any way, Seems to be all there, And running.
What to look for or ??

Thanks every one!

Welcome. First off is it a 78 XSE Roadster/Standard from 2F0-000101 or 78XSSE Special from 2F0-100101.

[URL="http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html"]Id chart[/URL]. Engine and frame have matching no's, if not it doesn't matter as the engines from 74-83 are the same, carbs have variations, (jets), every couple of years and they changed to a smaller carb in 1980

Prices vary from country to country and state to state. take note of the Canadians for a price

Thanks for the fast reply skull, I have no clue on the Standard or Special, This is a good question, Any other way of telling what it is, I didn't write down the serial numbers .... I will have to call him,

Thanks

The first pic is a 78 standard, the second a 78 special.

Usually you would post in the Garage for intro's and questions. Travis will probably shift this over when he wakes up :D

If the seller says it is a Special 2 then it is a 79 Special much the same as the second pic but, has spoke wheels instead of the mags. The 78/79 period was transitional between the Standard and Specials when both models were made at the same time.
The XS650 was made from August to july spanning 2 years but the models are classified as the second half of the 2 years. Eg: 78 models was made from August 77 through to July 78. XS1 was made from August 69 to July 70 and is a 70 model

Attachments

• DouglasWalker1.jpg
    DouglasWalker1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 76
  • normal_b8bc_20.jpg
    normal_b8bc_20.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 60
Humm, Thanks again for the fast reply.
Sure hope he shifts over my thread.....Maybe I will get more viewers :D

Whow its hard to tell the difference between the two.
It defiantly didn't have spokes, but mags.
I really should have taken pictures.......I will email him and ask for serial # - or just drive by tomorrow and picture it !

Thanks again

Thanks,

Looking through the threads, Very impressive reading. I am eating my way through.

Thanks!

Prices are pretty high on the Canada side of the Border it's all about condition. Even though you are chooping it the amount of rust, how much maintenance has been done and overall visible condition are clues to the mechanical health of the bike too. Normally expect to overhaul disk brakes, carbs, charging system, wiring, ignition, forks. The bottom oil filter will be torn. A top overhaul is pretty common also.

Back