New kid on the block

ineedabeer21

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm new to xs650's and motorcycles period. Ive spent most of my time on VW's. Im 21 and in the USAF stationed in NJ. I just recently bought a 78 yamaha xs650d and it needs a little work. Its smoking a little and I think it might need new piston rings?? Clutch handle is stiff, forks are soft, needs new tires and sputters when i get on it. I believe that to be the fuel filter. I have some plans for a build that I will hopefully have ready by the spring. I've been doing some research and want to put on a magnetic charging system and PAMCO ignition system. Also do a gauge delete and add a mini speedo with some clip on bars. Electric start delete and Do a bare metal rusted tank and no fenders. Get a cafe style seat and gsxr forks and Kenda K761 tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 2015010495170606.jpg
    2015010495170606.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 262
  • 2015010495170641.jpg
    2015010495170641.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 243
Hi and welcome to a little bit of XS heaven!

Wait before you mod(he said, working on his brat he has never ridden before!!), ride her for a while stock and see how it goes from there.

I'm going to go on a whim and say, clean your carbs from top to bottom, this will probably solve a lot of your troubles! There is a how to somewhere, maybe in the tech section, have a look.

Clutch cable and worm gear probably need a bit of grease to loosen them up. Dump the tires and get some fresh rubber on there. Also check the tank for dirt and rust, and clean it up. Yes you will probably need a new fuel filter. Forks probably need new oil in them.

Best thing to invest in is some manuals, the more the better, then read em like a book from front to back! THEN come back here, do loads of searches, and then ask away! We love to help if you have done a little homework!

Best to start a build thread, then we can all see your progress, and it will be a good online archive for yourself.

Update your signature with info on your bike, it will help us diagnose problems a lot quicker should you have any!

Good luck, but most of all, have fun doing it!!!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to ride her once she gets running good before I start modding to get a feel for how she rides.

Lots of people think the XS650 clutch lever is hard to pull. Most are wrong, they are used to more modern bikes that don't have the clutch cable hooked to anything. Well at least that's how some new bikes feel to me.
As Airwolfe mentioned a well lubed cable and actuator mechanism makes the lever pull easier.
In your repair manual they list two ways to lube a cable, the spray can lube stuff is a poor choice. Use the oil method. Remove the cable, hang it up. make a kitchen foil funnel on the top, fill with oil. Let set, when oil drips out, it's lubed.
Using one of those clamp on cable luber things works ok for cleaning the cable. I use a cleaner with a straw and spray that through the cable. It way take a few tries but spray, pull the cable in/out of the housing, spray, repeat as needed till clean stuff comes out.
Then let dry and do the oil method.
Oil lubes better and lasts much longer than any spray lube.
On thr poor running it's most ;likely the carbs. www.amckayltd/com/carbguide.pdf will help with that.
On the smoking, if it has set very long the rings, cylinders get a thin coat of rust that prevents a good ring to cylinder seal. Often the best fix is just ride it. As the eng9ine runs it will wear away this rust and then seal up. Stopping the smoking.
By "magnetic charging system" I assume you mean a PMA. Even the stock system is a magnetic charging system. A charging system can't function with out a magnet. The stock system uses an electromagnet. The PMA uses a permanent magnet.
I might not be so quick to do the swap. The stock system works very well.
It just needs a good battery to keep working well. That's the only advantage the PMA has. It can be run without a battery. Anything else is just hype.
Yes, get at least the downloadable repair manual. I have the Clymer, the Haynes and the factory manuals for all years. I use them all.
I like real books. Most of what I have are real books but some are downloads.
When you get a manual do a tune up. Do the steps in order,
Cam chain tension,
Valve adjustment,
If points, points gap and timing, If TCI then just timing check.
Once you get this done along with a carb tear down and cleaning, the bike should run well.
On the carb cleaning, DON'T buy carb kits. Most don't have the right parts. The stock gaskets are pretty robust and if careful can be reused.
Follow the steps in the carb guide to tear down the carbs, inspect all the parts. If any are found to be bad then buy just the parts you need.
Often a float bowl gasket is all you need. Around $5. A carb kit is around $22.
Leo

Hi ineedabeer and welcome,
your profile says it all :- "XS650D bone stock"
Clean it up, get it running and enjoy.
Any custom work you do on a stock bike may well make it "yours" but it will also reduce it's resale value and lessen it's general rideability.

Standard model you have there.
Be careful not to push the tubes too far up through the triple tree.......seen a few dented front fenders from not enough travel room.
Excellent platform to work with on a resto-mod! Now you need to find a Special to work some custom magic on.
Welcome aboard!

good looking bike to start with there. mine was much worse, for sure. I second everything said in this thread- all good info. BIG emphasis on riding the thing as it is. until you know what it feels like stock (or as close as it currently is, anyway), youll never know what needs upgrading and what doesnt. So, get it running and stopping, and get out a ride it. save up some cash, then implement your build plan. Also, most of the guys on this forum are fans of these bikes being bone stock (and for good reason), so dont be surprised if you get a curt response to a question or post about cutting something off. Lastly, welcome aboard, and we love pictures!

Thanks everyone for all the info! I took the carbs off today and I'm going to clean them up and see if I need to replace anything. I'm definitely going to get her running good before I "mod" No big plans, just new tires and paint, different gauges, tail lights etc. Just a refresh basically. Something simple but "vintage" looking.

Update on the carbs, cleaned them up inside and out and they look %100 better. The float bowls were dirty and gunned up and I need new floater pins and gaskets. Now question on the jets, I'd love to cut the ugly mufflers off right behind the foot pegs and put pod filters on, would I only new to just move one size up? Or just trial and error?

You don't have to cut that exhaust to seperate it.
Just loosen the castle nuts.
If you want a shorter exhaust I have some vintage slash cuts. Lets talk swap.

This is what I did to my 78. I still have to put the Brembo brake on the front. It has eight pack clutch plates with a hydraulic clutch, VM 34 carbs, re-contoured seat with leather, British styl mufflers with after market headers, x-ring chain, 30-tooth rear sprocket, after market oil cooler with filter, Boyer ignition with Gm coil, longer progressive shocks, Progressive fork springs, Sparx PM alternator. After a little tweeking it runs great and handles even better. I also rewired everything myself and soldered every joint. I run two capacitors and some times a battery. It charges 14.8 at 3000 rpm and 13.0 at idle. I put plenty of time and money but it has been worth every penny and minute. Good luck Tony P.S. The picture shows un cut mufflers

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• PA050022.jpg
    PA050022.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Thank you for your service. I'm a retired TSgt Crew Chief(Fighters) and a classic VW guy. When I get a new ride/project, do a full blown tune-up(carbs,valve adjustment,cam chain, etc)fluid changes and lube. Oh yeah,clutch adjustment. If you haven't yet, get a factory maint. manual. You can download one at biker.net. Nothing beats a hardcopy though. Keep on wrenching. Shoot, I must have close to 2 dozen manuals in my VW library, alone!

Must be something with VW's and XS's... I too am a VW guy! I have a '69 Ghia that I've been restoring, and this is my second XS.

Cheers!

Update on the carbs, cleaned them up inside and out and they look %100 better. The float bowls were dirty and gunned up and I need new floater pins and gaskets. Now question on the jets, I'd love to cut the ugly mufflers off right behind the foot pegs and put pod filters on, would I only new to just move one size up? Or just trial and error?

Stock pipes cut off there are going to be super loud and are a bitch to jet the carbs to match. Larger diameter aftermarket pipes that are short not only sound better, but seem easier to jet to with pod filters.

Hi ineedabeer,
some pods work OK and some block off those small air inlets around the carb's edges to totally screw up the carburation.
The search function will tell you which.
Dunno if your mufflers will bolt off or if the exhaust is a complete weldment like newer model XS650s.
If they bolt off, fine, put shorties on instead. If they are welded on (and in OK shape) take 'em off to add to your swap pile, they are worth money.
Buy new aftermarket pipes of your choice instead.
Some kinda muffler is essential to getting any kind of decent slow running.

Weekend rider message me

Azman857 I'm a crew chief on C-17's thanks for your service as well

Ive had a mk1 tdi rabbit and i currently have a mkiv gti. Thanks for the input on the exhaust and jets! There's a great deal more to changing the exhaust and filters than I had thought but I love to learn and get my hands dirty lol

When the 77D came out the bike word hailed it "as coming of age" of the development for the XS650 Road bike.

Larger front forks mainly, as the frame was the same as the 74 when it was rebuilt and strengthened and with the new front guard the handling was the best since their intro in 70.

Changing charging systems and cutting off the mufflers are a novices mistake.

Have you tested the Stator and Rotor?

Are the mufflers and headers a one piece exhaust system?

Are you really into the XS650 as a bike or are you on the band wagon to bastadize a good bike for the cool crowd oh ahs.

Bit harsh but you have a classic bike worth more money as it is than what you want to do to it, and the mufflers on their own, ( if they are as good as they seem to be in the pics), are worth good money.

These bikes will tune better with the original or good replacement muffler. Cutting or removing the muffler, air-box and having straight pipes, (with or without baffles), and pods is a down grade and you will be forever on here trying asking how to get it to run right.

I implore you, learn to test the electrics and wiring, dismantle and clean all couplings and bullet connectors and continuity test as you go, check and clean all grounds and the contact surface they attach to.

Test the charging system, it may be working ok and if not the fix could be way cheaper, (and as reliable), than buying a PMA with its combined rewg/rect.

There is all the knowledge and very good tutorials on all i have mentioned in the "Tech Menu".

Being 21 doesn't allow for patience, but if you can contain yourself, learn and use the resources and the members here you can't go wrong.

Get the bike going and ride it as it is and that is the best way to learn and then fix or change things down the track.

Back