New Last Build Thread "maybe"

Today I set the wheel base at 72" and the ground clearance from the bottom rail to the ground at 4 1/4".:( Don`t like it at all so changes will be made tomorrow. More fork angle? There`s not a lot of information about LSR bike builds.
DSCN1578-001.JPGDSCN1579-001.JPGDSCN1581-001.JPG

1 1/8 " tubing bender dies came today.:thumbsup: Got my double split set collars welded to adjustable plates to set up the lower rails and made mounting clamps (lots of holes to drill)😁. It`s official now, the frame jig is nicer than the bike I`m going to build.:yikes:
DSCN1588-001.JPGDSCN1583-001.JPGDSCN1591-001.JPGDSCN1592-001.JPGDSCN1589-001.JPGDSCN1590-001.JPGDSCN1593-001.JPGDSCN1594-001.JPG

The pin size on the Rogue Fabrication dies is different than the one`s used on a Mittler Brothers tube bender. I milled a few thousands off of some bronze bushings and presto a perfect fit. Tonight I`ll reset the fork angle and adjust the wheel base then It`s time to build something.:thumbsup:
DSCN1595-001.JPGDSCN1596-001.JPGDSCN1597-001.JPG

Probably a book written somewhere about balancing the trail figure and stability. Too much and it wants to flop over. Might want to have 3 different rim weights during run-ups to see what the gyroscopic effect does.

iirc Phil Vincent wrote a treatise on motorcycle front suspension. I'd measure or look up the trail on several bikes and match to the rake of each example. I cannot find the treatise, but y'all might...I myself read it about 1967 at a pal's hippy pad. The 1340 Evo I own has rake 35 degrees. Past that and they don't slide very well, the sine of 30 degrees being 0.5, a fella can see how past 35 is a waste of time, more or less. More trail, more stability, up to a point. Me? I prefer the stability...they do tend to brake dive perhaps a bit more. btw nice work!

What's the latest guestimate on rake?
38 degrees. Stock fork angle is 27. I`m seriously thinking about two frames. A cradle frame and a full lower rail frame. I`ve also been looking at 3-3 1/2" oval tubing for the center tube/tank?? Very expensive so I`m sure I`ll find a way to absolutely need this.:thumbsup: If not 2 small diameter tubes for the center main tube and angle carb manifolds. Where`s a set of blueprints when I need them?:shootme:

Engines weigh, exhaust pipes not so much. High pipes, low engine. Rake affects trail but so too, triple clamp offset.
Honda Dream 305 and Benley 150....
Leading link suspension with "Streamlined" front forks. Are you or rules married to tubular front forks and the drag they create? So too, vertical rear shocks. Re read the development of the Britten 1000. So much sh!t is a given not reconsidered.

Can rider heat shield from a high exhaust be beneficial to airflow? Can a chain garden encapsulate one half of the swingarm? Can an airbox for filters encapsulate frame tubing that might otherwise be in the airflow?

The rule book says that exhaust has to be pointed away from the rider, rear tire and coarse surface. The chain guard has to be 1 1/2 times the width of the chain and start in the center of the front sprocket and extend to the rear most part of the rear sprocket and mounted in 2 places. The rules are pretty vague for Special Construction and Modified Production bikes. Streamliners are way strict!

An air/electric shifter tucked into the engine/frame is likely less drag than a rear set l8nkage in the wind.
The rule book says that exhaust has to be pointed away from the rider, rear tire and coarse surface. The chain guard has to be 1 1/2 times the width of the chain and start in the center of the front sprocket and extend to the rear most part of the rear sprocket and mounted in 2 places. The rules are pretty vague for Special Construction and Modified Production bikes. Streamliners are way strict!
I see lots of grey areas there, Smokey Yunick is my hero... I could diet...

A nameless buddy rode a hotshot street-bike to a track-day session. He was turning hot-laps and thought he was turning respectable times. He let a buddy who was an amateur roadracer ride the bike (a Ducati). The buddy promptly carved many seconds off the owners best times. It's humbling, but let's face it, there will always be those that are better than us at whatever...
Yeah, I got humbled big time by SCCA Trans Am driver Jack Baldwin at Road Atlanta. Tried to follow him around the track, didn't make it through the 2nd turn before I sent up a huge cloud of red dust.

Yeah, I got humbled big time by SCCA Trans Am driver Jack Baldwin at Road Atlanta. Tried to follow him around the track, didn't make it through the 2nd turn before I sent up a huge cloud of red dust.
I had the same experience at New Castle Motorsports Park (Go Kart Track) in Greenfield IN. Scott Goodyear kicked everybody`s ass. Mine included.:shrug:

Back