New Member Here

Sorry about the hijacking pregrid, still trying to figure the whole forum thing out, thought I posted in the right place, was hopin for a warmer welcome :doh: +1 on gettin her runnin, didn't hear mine run when I bought it but compression was good, a good friend helped me fire it after draining any gas from bowls and running clean oil through it, carbs need synced according to him so I'll do that after a bit. Now she's in a million pieces, lol, get her back together b4 to long, will post pics soon

Seems like you are well on your way so you may or may not have done this yet, but do a cam chain adjustment, check the clearance on the valves, and check the gaps on the timing points. Most people recommend it being done before starting an engine of unknown condition, but it shouldn't take you too long to do.

Sorry about the hijacking pregrid, still trying to figure the whole forum thing out, thought I posted in the right place, was hopin for a warmer welcome :

Fuck that! did you notice the smiley face at the end of my post? Was meant to be a joke. Doesn't come over right on the interwebs. I jack threads all the time. Well not all the time. Anyhoo, welcome and just remember.........we're all lost here, just lookin' for a little direction. :D <-Smiley face!!

Good call getting her running first. I just pulled the parts motor off my donor bike but I made sure it ran first. I'd hate to get her in, wired up, and not be able to get it started and not know if it was something in my wiring or the motor itself. Getting her running now eliminates a lot of the possibilities later.

Yea thanks for the advice. Probably a better route. I have owned bikes and worked on them myself. I have been in and out of car motors my whole life, but never a bike motor.

Anyways, new battery, valve adjustment, cam chain adjustment, and some tinkering. Turns over smoothly but the petcocks leak like sieves... From what I've read, I should have expected that. Also, looks like a previous owner did some hacking up of the original wiring. I've found a number of cut or broken wires.... I am almost leaning toward buying a complete wiring harness from MikeXS.

Anyone bought one from him and happy with the product?

Good luck with everything and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great info here.
:) Wishing you lots of fun with your project.

I pulled the tank and cleaned it out really well. Surprisingly not any rust really. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them out as well. I went ahead and changed the oil, have the petcocks soaking in penetrating oil over night. One was frozen up. But I can turn the crank over smoothly with a socket. So at least I know it isn't locked up. My extra battery was dead, so I am charging it over night. I will try and crank it up in the morning! Some of the rat's nest wiring has been pulled apart inside the headlamp assembly.

So, first I am getting the motor running as you all suggested. Then I am working on the brakes. (The master cylinder is gone.) Lastly, I will work on any electrical issues unless some major electrical issue keeps it from running. Then, I'll do that first!

Can't wait to really get started.

My master cylinder was bad on my XS. I bought one on ebay for $17.00 and it worked out perfectly. http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Yamaha-YZ-Bikes-/330548512948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cf63a08b4#ht_2472wt_952

b_motor_bike_front_brake_master_01.jpg

Just an idea for a low cost fix!

I've bought a lot of engine parts from Mikes XS. Overall everything has worked out pretty well for me, however, I think there are a few other places you can find parts. Depending on what your final plans are, you could either buy a wiring harness or, if you are planning on eliminating some of the extra electrics (electric start, etc), you could always have a go at wiring it from scratch.

Back