New Member - Introduction and Questions

KaosX

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and figured it's usually customary to write an introduction thread.

I'm 26 and live around the pittsburgh area. I'm interested in learning to ride and learning more about bikes. I'm a DIY guy so I find that working on things or working with my hands is fun. I've previously used this to build computers, guns, holsters, knives and most recently I renovated the bathroom at my place.

I was out shopping with my wife last week and came across a motorcycle that immediately caught my eye - it was a hardtail bobber xs650.

I'd love one of these and the wife said it was OK - just to try to keep the costs down.

So I'm wondering what's the best way to attack this? Craigslist hunting, junk/scrapyard hunting?

Obviously a running bike would be easier. Then have the frame modified and then go from there.

I like minimal when it comes to anything so I'd want as little on it as possible.

At any rate, great site - I'm going to try to do some reading and pickup some information before I get too hasty with too many questions.

Thanks!

Welcome. I like to find bikes on craigslist that aren't running but are all there and have low miles, good compression, kick over, etc. Usually a carb cleaning and/or some electrical work and you're back on the road again. I like the story where it ran last fall but won't start this spring.. even if it's a just a line from the seller.

Buying non-running bikes is a gamble though because you could end up with something that'll cost more in money and time to get right than buying something running to begin with. Good luck with your search!

Back