New Member just got a XS650 with only 1,340 miles

XS771

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought a sweet 1981 XS650 on Ebay for $3250 it is all stock and 1,340 original miles. I have to pick it up in Wisconsin and bring it home to Texas . The owner said it will need a new battery soon but from looking at the close up pics it looks like museum quality . No rust at all showroom condition , I'm sure i'll put on new tries they're 30 years old... Any thoughts or tips ?

so are you saying I payed too much ? You tell me, are there a lot of mint 30 year old xs650's out there in showroom condition with less than 1,350 miles that can be bought for less? most of what I've seen are rusty , beat up , POS for $1000 to $2000 that have high miles and need alotta hours of work and need thousands of $$$$$ in new parts .

You asked me for my thought, I gave it to you. Do I feel you paid too much? Not sure, to me that is relative. As much as I love cars and motorcycles, I couldn't personally own a museum quality piece unless I was a millionaire. You do make a valid point, there are bikes for sale out there for $1,500 to $2,000 that need stuff, so you could look at it like that. Also, I personally am not a big fan of the way the 1981 looks stock, so that's another negative to me (keyword there). You have to tell me if it is worth it to YOU because after all, that is who bought it. Are YOU happy with your purchase? If so, that is all that matters. Me, I am a cheap broke ass, so you kinda see how things would differ.

I was following xs650s on ebay for awhile and the occasional ultra low milers that looked like they just came out of the box would just top $4000 usually. Regardless of year. Lots of people don't like the looks of '80 and up but I prefer them. I think the earlier ones have nice lines but look sort of dainty.

I remember one on there in particular where the owner claimed it had never been started :eek:

Thanks for your thoughts and being honest , I thought you were being a ahole at first but your not so I'm sorry. I'll let you know if I think I paid too much after I ride it a few thousand miles . How is your XS running ?

I bought my 1981 XS with under 9K for $500 from the original owner needing a bit of love running on one cylinder. It really just needed the carbs cleaned to run right, but it has the infamous eletrical charging system gremlin I am working on right now. It runs alright, this winter I am hoping to have the cash to tear into it with a full rebuild/rephase/750 kit and do a little brat job on it.

For the record, I find my 1981 XS ugly as hell in all honesty.

@XJWMX: They may look dainty, but man I love the way they look. So much style. Classic. The 80s models has that big frumpy ass seat, just the whole aesthetic is very 80s and uninspiring to me.

Well I got to say I bought my 80 with just over 24,000 on the odometer and with an older engine swapped so who really knows the real miles. With that being said she's old and seen her fair share of problems, but I think what I have gained owning her is worth it.

I think with you having one that sounds like it was kept in a spare bedroom with it's own pillow is pretty cool. I bet you have many fun rides ahead of you. And if she breaks down pop in and ask some questions. Heck ask some questions anyways, It's good to learn how to fix her.

Good to see another Xs'er :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site. Hope it is exactly as advertised. I think I saw that bike on Craigslist, guy is thinning out a collection of similar bikes. If that's the case he probably is playing straight. It still is 30 years old miles or not. Keep us in the loop, we would love to hear how it works out.

gggGary, I think you're right I believe it's the same guy . He said he had 25 bikes and was thinning the herd and keeping 10 . He seems like a honest guy who is shootin' straight. He also said he would refund my money if I didn't like it. I can't wait see and ride it. I will let you know how it turns out . I thank everyone for the thoughts and reply's I'll post some pics later.

I'm going to have it shipped to Austin TX from Wisconsin next week . Anyone know a good shipping company ? I'm thinking about haulbikes.com they want $676 or I might drive up in my pick up truck .

Attachments

• Picture 151.jpg
    Picture 151.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 104
There are several trains of thought on motorcycle value. Always buy the best you can afford. If you get a great looking and running bike you are so far ahead both in time and money. If you want pristine and you spend $2000 for a start, you will have $4000 in it before you know it.......unless you can do all of your own work. I have a 650 that I paid way too much for years ago, but it was totally stock, like yours. It has given me years of riding pleasure with very little wrenching. It's hard for money to beat that.
The other side is to buy what you can find and begin. As an example I have a $2000 bike at the moment that I am restoring to new, again, like your bike. I will have $4500 invested when I'm done (I hope!) and I will have a like new bike that I can ride anywhere at a moments notice and will still be worth more than I have in it. And yes, I do everything except chrome plating.
FYI, if I could have afforded pristine on the $2000 bike I would have found one.....
And your bike is beautiful. I hope you have a lot of safe fun together!

Last edited:
Back