New Member Needs Help

EODGOD

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First, I want to say hi to members of the forum. Now, I have just recently acquired an 650 in fairly poor shape. It ran real well the last two days until is just cut out while riding at highway speed, now it will not kick over. I am new to motorcycle maintenance but am pretty handy and look forward to the challenge. I was hoping I could get some advice on where to start. Nothing would be to small and Im not insulted easily. I look forward to seeking lots of advice while I work on this through the winter.

I would have to say start with the basics. Is there oil in it? Does the motor turn? Does it have compression? Is there fuel flowing to the carbs? Does it have spark? If the answer to any of these is no it will not run. Good luck and happy wrenching.

Welcome to the board.
We need a bit more info. Like what year and model? Any mods?
What did it do just before it quit?
When you say it won't kick over, does that mean it won't turn over or it won't start?
Is the battery fully charged?
Is there gas in the tank?
Oil in the crankcase?
Leo
Do you have a repair manual? If not get one. biker.net has them to download.

You all rock. I appreciate it. The XS is a 1979 Special with points ignition. The only mods the bike has is some aftermarket exhaust and the airboxes are removed. However, it looks like a 5 year old rewired it and the starter has been wire out of the system. It has gas, oil, and spark. However, while riding it almost felt like it was running out of gas. It stopped throttling up until I came to a stop then it quit. Now it won't turn over at all with a kick.

I'm a bit confused by your description of the problem. 'Won't turn over' indicates that when you try to kickstart it, you can't get the kickstarter to move. That indicates seizure, which means going into the engine. But you say you have spark which can only happen if the engine can be spun over so that the points open and close. If what you mean is 'the engine can be spun over with the kickstarter but it won't run', then that's a different (and generally much cheaper!) story altogether. Can you clarify, please?

Plugged carbs from the rusty gas tank. and fresh ethanol gas starting to dissolve years of old varnish. download the carb guide and start reading, repeat till you have it memorized, check compression, valve clearance, and cam chain tension. Overhaul the carbs, clean the gas tank, petcocks, REPLACE all fuel lines. Short cut this stuff and plan to spend quality time along side the road trying to fix it with bits of trash and rocks.
Welcome to the fold, pictures or it doesn't exist.
Post pics of the carbs, especially looking into the intake so we know for sure what year they are. Jetting and other detail varies by year.

Running aftermarket exhaust and no airbox prob got to hot and seized up. Prob melted a piston or two. When the piston melts it lets go of the pin that holds the piston pin in and starts to really mess things up inside. I just repaired a bike that very thing happened to.

Posted via Mobile

Again, I appreciate this. Your replys are helping me better discribe the probelm. I'm still learning the jargon.

In response 1975jh5 I can get it to kick through but nothing will happen, as if its not getting Gas.

gggGary, This is great! I'm looking forward to really getting into everypart and getting the most out of the project. I will get started on this unless there is a better starting point.

jonand jones, This sounds scary. I hope that's not it. I know I have a long way to go but damn!

So, gentlemen, once I get to better understand the process and protocal for posting here I'm sure I will become more clear. I am looking forward to a long relationship with this XS. I'm in the service and after a long time, will find myself at home for a while. This is something I've been ready to do but have found myself out of the country.

Carbs, www.amckayltd.com/carbguide/pdf
So the engine turns over by kicking but won't start, right
Pull out both plugs, leave the key switch in the off position. Now with a finger plugging one plug hole, kick the bike over. Do both sides.
Do both sides blow your finger out of the plug hole with a good fast kick?
Get a repair manual, I did mention this didn't I. Free download from biker.net
Get it, read it. Start with a basic tune up.
Check cam chain tension
Check valve clearance
Check points gaps, two sets of points, two gaps
Check points timing
Once you do these things, IN ORDER then use the carb guide to tear down and clean the carbs.
Don't buy any kits, most have the wrong parts in them except the float bowl gasket and float valves, jets and needles are usaully wrong.
Your gaskets are probably ok to reuse if your careful on tear down.
The spray can carb cleaner works well. A can or two of compressed air will help.
Leo
While you have the carbs apart, wqrite down the numbers written on the pilot jets, main jets, needle jets and the needle.

Good to know it's not seized! XSLeo has the order of things to do right. Don't forget a comfortable seat and adult beverages. :cheers: Oh, and thanks for your service to our country! :thumbsup:

Back