New member, new to xs650s eager to learn

Jasher

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am glad a found this website, seems like a lot of knowledge here and excited to learn more. I am new to road bikes but have been riding dirt for a while. I have always been interested in old bikes and have always loved the xs650. I am looking at a 72' xs650 and wondering if it is possible to convert it to a cafe with some custom mods. Been looking at some parts but there are no specifics as to what models they fit on. Any advise? I would appreciate any help as I continue my search for the right bike.

For a 1st 650, I would recommend a '74 or newer model. The engines changed internally in '74. Parts for them are more plentiful and less expensive than for the '73 and older models. More parts swapping between the later models is also possible. All in all, it would be just an easier to live with and own model.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate. I was looking at a 72' and the owner claims it only has 7k miles on it and is asking 2300. Thought it seemed like a good deal. But again, still unfamiliar. Again, thanks.

Again, I'm going to advise against that '72. Besides the reasons already given, that one is considered a classic and not something you take the Sawzall to. Find a later model beat up Special to have your way with.

5twins, Thanks again. I have started looking for 74' and newer. I do not plan on changing much. Just wanted to change the seat to a cafe style and change the fenders and maybe paint. Is that simple to do on the newer models? I don't want to change the frame work on the bike unless it is completely necessary to achieve what I said above.

Nj1639. Thanks for the link that was definitely helpful. I like what was done with bike. Exactly what I am going for. No major mods, just changing the seat and cleaning the bike up. There are so many threads it is difficult to find the right ones!

Back