New member to the forum

Ronnie_D

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to all:

This forum is fantastic. I have been reading through it and have learned a lot. I am restoring a 1977 XS650D and can hardly wait to take it for a ride this spring. It is stripped down to the frame which I will be painting and then to start the re assembly.

I am going through the electrical and was wondering what the lamp checker is used for? It is part # 371-84708-02-00.

Thanks and cheers to all in the forum.
Ronnie_D in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada.
7.JPG

light checker.jpg

Welcome to the site.
The light checker is to give an alarm if it senses low current in the tail or brake light. Its more a marketing gimmick than anything of real worth in my opinion. Still it does do what its supposed to do, and in the broadest terms, could be considered a safety item.
The fact of the matter is that the #1157 bulbs are very rugged and hardly ever burn out, unless your charging system goes whacky and goes up over 15 volts. I've had my XS650 for 10 years, and have never had any tail/brake light or turn signal bulbs burn out.

Actually I switched over to an LED tail/brake light a number of years ago. It draws so little current, that my light checker went into alarm.....................I simply removed the bulb.

Back