New member with a question.

Hosk

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have just bought this uk registered XS2.

Can anyone tell me if this colour scheme is from XS1B or XS2

The bike is a 1973 XS2 but i'm sure the colours are from XS1B.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

XS2-2.JPG

First of all the XS2 was made in 72. The 73 is a TX650 and sports a different style tank that is blue with different graphics. Your color is from a 71. The XS2 was red with white. Take a look at my photos for the XS2. Whats the serial number. Looks like the tail light is different from the std XS1 or XS2. The front turn signals are mounted in the wrong place ( mine are too, but I like them there). Either way it looks like a nice bike.

The colors match a 71 XSB.

XS2 production dates should be from Aug 71 to July 72. How have you come to the conclusion it is a 73.

Also looks like your controls are silver. I believe the XS1 had silver controls, but the XS2 were black. Was it an imoport or has it been in the UK.

Hi 650Skull.
It was registered in the UK in June 1973 but I assume it was manufactured in 1972 as you suggested.

Hi cra-z1.
It's definately a XS2 its just the colour that's confusing me. Interesting about the indicators though, where should they be? Serial No is S650-114724.

Very nice, clean. Could be an historical oddity, or a restoration.

The front turn signals would've normally been mounted to chrome brackets off the fork caps. But, there was the other fork ear stalk mount that came out somewhere in '72, but my parts lists are too fuzzy to nail that down.

That type of taillight would've normally been an XS1 item, changing to the round type in '71, but the parts lists show that XS1 style taillight continuing on to '72.

And, as Cra-Z1 noted, the handlebar switch should be black.

Otherwise, the only '71 XS1B stuff I can see is the color...

By the looks of the paint(which is very nice) I would bet someone just liked the yellow better and painted it that way when they freshened it up.. Maybe also adding a few things that were more in line with the 71 like the controls and tail light. There are just to many things that make it a 72. The front disk first came out in 72 along with the electric start. The 71 had drum brakes and kick only.

Thanks for the welcome and the info guys.

I think cra-z1 has got it spot on. Someone liked the XS1B colour when restoring it.

Also the disc and electric start make it XS2.

I'm now pondering whether to get it re-painted in the XS2 orange/black colour scheme, which is my favourite.

Your bike but I'd round up "need paint" tins and paint THEM to your preferred color then sell the XS1B set.

A little detective work could reveal the original color of the tins. Inside the backside of the sidecovers are some nooks and crannys that may have been missed by a repaint. Same with the tank's underside, inside and atop the forward mounts, inside the joints of the rear mount. A mirror and flashlight to see up in there. A tiny scratch test in one of those inconspicuous areas could be done, see what lies beneath...

Hi ,Hosk I live near where you got the bike from and had a look at it the other day,It is a lovely example of a 73 xs but painted in 71 colours.My 72 is red and white and yours should be blue and gold,personally I like the orange better,hope you enjoy your new xs.

Orange / black color? Maybe a UK color? How many XS2's were shipped over there. I have never seen an XS2 with those colors. Red / white is the norm in the states. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I am with Gary on the paint however, finding the tank is next to impossible.Side covers and fork ears not so much. I have a perfect tank(well almost) that was chemically stripped by my painter however the chemical ate away the material that holds the gas cap. Some type of pot metal? I would wait till you have a few scratches and dents (hopefully not:yikes:) before repaint.
Ok now you are confusing me?
"Hi ,Hosk I live near where you got the bike from and had a look at it the other day,It is a lovely example of a 73 xs but painted in 71 colours.My 72 is red and white and yours should be blue and gold,personally I like the orange better,hope you enjoy your new xs."

gggGary, thats a good idea, I'm going to search for tin to re-paint and keep the XS1B colours. I hear that tanks are rare tho.

TooManyXS1B's......I have to take the tank off next week to replace a leaky fuel tap seal so will check for clues as you suggested. I will also look at the back of the side panels.

Yellowdog.....The guy I bought the bike from said there was another XS2 close by, he must've been talking about yours.

Back