flyerdon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased a decent 80 XS650 Special ll. Until I saw the add, I never even knew there was a Special ll, only the Special. The bike is in running condition (according to the owner and appears to be complete expect for the clutch adjustment cover. It's going to need a lot of cleanup and TLC but I thin it can be turned into a good looking and running bike. I had a regular XS650 back in about 1985 or 86 but unfortunately when my brother-in-law needed a bike I gave it to him so he had something to ride. I turned the title over to him and he later traded it for a Ducati, never saw it again. Any way, mice to see a forum for the XS650's., always loved the looks of the breed. I'll attach a picture of the add for the bike. I use the name flyerdon because I'm also a model aircraft pilot.

Attachments

• Yamaha 650.jpg
    Yamaha 650.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 92
Welcome flyerdon.
Bike looks like a nice original, but for the paint. Good colour, though.

Welcome to the forum! I’m sure you will have fun with your new 650. Lots and lots of valuable info here.
See you around!
Bob

Welcome flyerdon.
Bike looks like a nice original, but for the paint. Good colour, though.
Yes, the paint is the color I'd call incognito but somebody must have thought it was nice. I'm going to just go with the good old black. I haven't had a black bike for a long time and since black was the most common color, that's fine with me. Right now I have a squadron blue C5 Royal Enfield and a Silver/red XSR700. My last four bikes have been red and I guess the red ones just stick out for me or I'm simply attracted to it

Yes, that looks pretty nice. You'll still need to go through it though. They're all like 40 years old now and need that T.L.C. to get them back up to snuff. And I can't believe how many of these still survive to this day with those silly handlebars on them, lol. Change them to a more normal bar and you will literally transform the look and feel of the bike.

Yes, that looks pretty nice. You'll still need to go through it though. They're all like 40 years old now and need that T.L.C. to get them back up to snuff. And I can't believe how many of these still survive to this day with those silly handlebars on them, lol. Change them to a more normal bar and you will literally transform the look and feel of the bike.
The bars will definitely be going to something like a superbike bar or close, I think I've got a couple sets that might even do the job. I see a lot of work ahead. Once I get it home I want to see if it will fire up then go from there. I had an XS11 a few years ago that I worked my tail off on then sold it. It was just a bit too heavy for my taste. One of the things I like most about the XS650 is that is doesn't have shim over or shim under valve adjustment. I've have a bunch of those buggers including a 2008 FZ1 with the five valve heads, 20 valves to check and adjust and my XSR has the same type of adjustment (but only 8 valves and 26,000 mile intervals.

As you read through the site, you'll see guys have come up with many small mods and improvements to better this bike and bring it closer to modern day standards. Most are pretty cheap and easy to do, and most aren't needed right off the bat. You can slowly chip away at it, little by little. Yes, get it up and running and then you can "ride and wrench" on it.

One of the things I like most about the XS650 is that is doesn't have shim over or shim under valve adjustment

Amen! I hate that system. I’ve had that on a couple of modern bikes and it just bugs me that valve adjustments were too difficult for me to do myself. The XS650 is a breeze to do maintenance on , I think it’s fun actually. It’s satisfying to be able to work on the bike yourself with basic tools.

Lookin' good! :thumbsup: Keep looking around this forum, and you'll find a ton of tricks, mods, and upgrades that'll make for a better bike. And those 8 month long winters in Michigan will give you a chance to do plenty of work in the off-season! :laugh: Do your "homework", and you'll do great! :rock: Welcome to the party, and keep us updated! (We're nosy) ;)

Welcome FlyerDon - from Canada's sunny southern coast in <nearby> Windsor, Ontario!

I really like your bike - cool colour! You'll have a ball here - just ask questions and post photos and you'll get all the help you need to make that old gal really hum.

Cheers,

Pete

PS - I fly R/C as well - but not so much lately.

Back