new oversize piston kit, anyone ever bought from this ebay seller?

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First time poster here doing a brat from a 1976 xs650.
Im rebuilding 76 xs650. Cylinders are just slightly oversize in on spot in one jug. Thinking of new pistons and a bore job. I found a ebay seller with good rep. that sells 2 complete pistons, pins, clips and rings for just over 100 bucks shipped.
Has anyone ever bought from this seller? The seller is based out of Japan. Here is a link to the parts if I am able to post this link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131160014127?item=131160014127&vectorid=229466
Any information will be appreciated. thanks

I have done over 10 with CRUZIN. They get them to you fast and I have use there .5 and 1mm over pistons plus I bought a couple sets of CB 750 836 kits too. Have not had a problem with them. .5 bore is just a light bore no need to do anything else. 1 mm bore you have to put back the bore angle on skirts because the bore takes it out.
But company has been around for a while and so far good stuff.
Rich

Thanks for the quick reply Daddygcycles, Ive been building engines for quite a few years mostly air cooled vw and as a practice always bought new jugs and pistons kits when doing a rebuild. As in my post I only had on jug that was 3 thousands over in one spot and they have some oval where but not out of specs. We have a local machine shop that will bore them for 40 a hole and I wanted to freshen up the jugs. I planned on getting them from 650central or mikes but looking further the pistons and rings were sold separate adding to the cost. No reason for the high cost of pistons and rings. Thanks for the information on your experience with this seller.

Hint Hint same pistons LOL
I have been building for over 35 yrs and I do the same on motors I get. The 1mm over bore was the best choice because it also bumps up the size of motor and they run good. I will try and post a video of a motor that was 1mm over. Good stuff good price.
What I do when I order from them is buy a new set plus a spare stock ring set. Clean up a good set of used pistons and jugs and sell them to get my money back and someone gets a good start on there build.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5cowk6eez2xniy/2013-08-16 12.14.16.mov?dl=0

Motor sounds very good. This is my first xs. Been riding over 50 years. Had all sorts of bikes in those years. Few Harleys I should have kept, Triumphs I should have kept. Had that Triumph when I was 17 45 years ago. I think it was a 1957 650. Any way back to this xs. It was a 200 dollar stock bike that had been in a minor laydown. It ran like crap had a cracked intake boot and various cobble jobs. I suspected it would need timing chain guides. Mind you its my first xs taking it apart without a book. I found that the timing chain was 4 notches off and the round thick washer with the arrow pointing the rotation was on backwards. Could it have jumped 4 teeth on the timing chain by me releasing the cam chain tensioner? I may have a few more question in the future if you do not mind helping me, It will be a over the winter project and at the moment I am doing the frame to a brat style. Thanks, Mark

Yep those were the good old years. I had a bunch of Triumphs and BSA and Nortons but the best early bike I had was a 1958 K Sportster . Couldn't kick it was lucky I lived near a hill and the best was I always was able to sucker someone in to kick it for me.
I started at 14 yrs old on a neighbors BSA and it was all downhill from there I was hooked. Will be 63 in a couple months and owned and operated shops for myself and friends now RETIRED and just have fun.
You can always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and drop a number if you got something to ask.
Rich

Last edited:
That seller (cruzinimage_co1484) labels those as 74-76 xs650. Are the specific to those years or are they all 447 engines? I'm looking at a winter rebuild on a 79 special.

1969? I was a 12 most of the year and the last 17 days I was 13 y.o. Where have the time gone? My ride was built in Feb of '80. I was Stationed in England (RAF Lakenheath, USAF) at the time. I didn't buy her until 2010 or so.

Thanks for a the replies guys. I think Ill order a set of pistons and rings from this guy and get it bored out. Was also thinking of taking the bottom apart over the winter it seems some have a hard time splitting the cases. It looks like there are some seals and such that should be replaced down there. I hate oil leaks. And maybe change out the 5 gear because mine is a 76 I think I have to look for newer trans parts, and consider re-phase the crank and cam but thats work I can not do. Id hate to put all this time in the bike and spin a bearing or something. Thanks again.

Could it have jumped 4 teeth on the timing chain by me releasing the cam chain tensioner?

Any thoughts on this guys? Could this have run being 4 teeth off on the cam chain? I dont know all that much about these engines but it seems to me if the cam was 4 teeth off it could have been banging the valves on the pistons.

It won't run 4 off. If the cylinders are in spec some taper is allowed usually at the bottom past where the rings ride you might get by with out going over size. A machine shop could check them. Just turned 69. Help I'm a young man trapped in an old mans body. The good old days back then jobs if you didn't have one you didn't want one . Bought a 55 Harley panhead rolling basket case $3OO. Wish I still had that 500CC Norton twin kick only magneto ignition single carb. The 61 sportster was a fun bike. Bikes from the past. Back to the future. :thumbsup:

I ordered a set of 75.5 pistons from the Japan seller from ebay. When they arrive Ill take my jugs over to a trusted machine shop and have them bored out. Im going to attach (if I can) a picture of what Ive done to my 76 xs. I had birdmans seats do the seat he carved a Spartan battle shield in it and it looks great and a bought tank 2 gallon mid mount. I got a pair of bungs from Hugh hand built to mount the tank I have to put the motor back in to make sure I can get the top mounts in before I bore and weld in the mounts. I bent up my own 1 inch dom for the seat rails but bought plugs from Visual for the parts going up to the seat rails. I bought some 3/8 square stock hot roll stock and may make a sissy bar for the upper mounting of the rear fender just have to figure a good way to mount the lower part of the rear fender to the swing arm. After I figure that out and get it down Ill take it over to a local sand blast and power coat place who do a great jog very reasonable. Quoted 100 bucks for the frame and additional for swingarm and such. Think Ill have the wheels done also black so my chain oil dont show so bad.
Question, wonder if I can leave the spokes attached to the hub and wheel for powder coating? anyone know? hope the picture is right side up.

Attachments

• photo 002.JPG
    photo 002.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 202
I bought 2 58 panheads back in the mid 70's first year with rear shocks. One for 500 and one for 800. I made a chopper out of the first one and that was a mistake. I wished I had them both back again!

Rich, I ordered a set of 75.5 pistons from him. What kind of clearance should I tell the guy at machine shop to bore to for proper clearance?

Back