New PMA & Pamco. No start. Need Help.

rmclaughlin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. So I'm sure this is my fault but here I go anyway. I have a 79 Special. I have installed a HHB PMA and PAMCO with mechanical advance, rec/reg. Have rebuilt the carbs with a kit from MikesXS. I have attempted to rewire a simplified system. It will not start but does crank with the starter. I have looked at so many wiring diagrams over the last months and they all have differences so I did what I thought was simplest. I have kept the starter relay but bypassed everything else. At the moment I have the battery connected to the SR and positive lead on the rec/reg. From that connection to a 20 amp fuse to the original ignition red wire. I have a 2 way fuse block (10 amp Fuse) that connects the brown wire from the original ignition to the red/white wire that connects to the original starter/kill through a junction. That junction connects to the other red/white wire and blue white wire directly to the SR. The coil is hooked up per PAMCO Pete's instructions. I have done this just to get the bike started and tuned before I tear it down for painting and some customizing. I plan on using an after market starter/kill, Headlamp/blinker controls, blinkers and break lights. I am keeping the original Headlamp.

I know this is tones of info but I am still new to the XS and so many of you guys out there have so much experience that I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

Thanks to everyone!!! I've gotten this far now I need a little more help for the last push.

I wanna ride this thing!!

My suggestion would be to draw your wiring diagram. Actually make a diagram. That way we can help you, it's too hard to follow what you've got going on with just he description.

It's great to see another local xs guy. I'm in burbank but build my bikes in Temple City and work in Arcadia. If you ever need help, let me know.

Well, I build bikes yes, but I am not a builder for a living. I'm a tattoo artist. I work at Nice Guy Tattoo in Arcadia. Rode my bike in to work today, gorgeous day, beautiful ride through old town. Come on by and check it out!

Here's the diagram: Thanks again.

Attachments

• PMA-Wiring-Diagram1.jpg
    PMA-Wiring-Diagram1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 177
Hey brother. When I get this sucker running lets go for a ride. I'll come check ya out at the tattoo shop. Always need new ink. ha

I looked at your diagram and it looks ok to me, but i am by no means a wiring guy. I have a diagram I altered from these forums to fit my build that I can send through if you like, it is essentially your exact setup. PMA, Pamco, and I kept the starter. I can email it to you if you like.

Back